cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a car loan while searching for house. (Pre-approved)

tag
711r

Getting a car loan while searching for house. (Pre-approved)

I've been lurking this forum for over a year now and have learned alot while getting my credit back on track. It's been almost 2 years since I have seriously started rebuilding my credit. When I first found this site my middle score was around 465. Now my middle score is 466 and still has been rising couple of points every other month.

I have been on the house hunt for a year and 2 months now. I am preapproved through FHA. During this time I have had my offer accepted 8 or  9 times on different properties. I have had the worst luck when it comes down to the inspection.(I have spent over $2500 on inspections)  It was always something major like cracked foundation, roof very old or not installed right, 1 time walked into a flooded basement day after it rained 5 days straight. Sellers was not willing to pay for repairs on any of the properites to make it FHA compliant.

So as of now I am still on the house hunt. My car loan is almost done and over with under $4k left. How will this affect my credit once the loan is satisfied? I would also like to trade my car in before anything major breaks (I drive a 2005 mercedes S500 expensive to fix) and was wondering how a new car loan would affect my preapproval for a FHA mortagage. I would also like to trade my car in before loan is satisifed. I have been getting offers from my bank (Chase) that I am also preapproved for any auto loan.

My Mortgage officer told me my DTI is 26% I am currently making 74K and have employed at the same job for over 9 years.

My only real bills and my car note and car insurance. 

Thanks in advance for your input and time!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Re: Getting a car loan while searching for house. (Pre-approved)

Was the 465 a typo.  I ahve a hard time believing anyone could get preapproved with a under 500 score.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 2 of 6
711r

Yes it was a Typo.... My Fico score was 666... I also forgot to mention my mortgage company had to re run my credit last week (I guess preapproval is only good for 45 days) and my they told me my score was 471

Sorry about that typo!!!

Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Agree with the other poster. I have never seen an FHA approval with a 471 mid score. Is that another typo?

Getting a car loan in the middle of trying to buy a house is a bad idea. Are you sure you have a pre-approval? Is it subject to bringing up your score to some other number like 620? Are you working with a mortgage broker or a correspondent lender?

Message 4 of 6
711r

OMG my brain is so fried right now........  I meant 671. I have alot on my mind right now!!!!. 

Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

711r, please remove the morgage company link. It is a violation of the TOS here. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.