Established Member
DougSmith81

Getting a mortgage as a 1099

I am in need of some help.

I recently changed employers after 5 years. I now work for one of my old company's suppliers. I finally have my credit within an acceptable range to obtain a mortgage, and would like to do so in Spring of 2013. After I started working at the new company I was told that even thought I get a salary paid weekly that I would be a 1099 and responsible for paying my own taxes, ect. I also earn commission on everything we sell, but my minimum is the same every week. The employer will not make me a W-2

I have read that I will have to do this for 2 years and have paid my taxes this way before a mortgage company will even consider it. 

I am determined to buy a house, I have lived in an apartment for 7+ years of bad credt and this is no way to raise a family... Please help, any advice is appreciated.

Starting Score: TU 594
Current Score: TU 639
1st Goal Score: TU 650 by end of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member
DougSmith81

Re: Getting a mortgage as a 1099

anyone?

Starting Score: TU 594
Current Score: TU 639
1st Goal Score: TU 650 by end of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
courtney091082

Re: Getting a mortgage as a 1099

DougSmith81 wrote:

I am in need of some help.

I recently changed employers after 5 years. I now work for one of my old company's suppliers. I finally have my credit within an acceptable range to obtain a mortgage, and would like to do so in Spring of 2013. After I started working at the new company I was told that even thought I get a salary paid weekly that I would be a 1099 and responsible for paying my own taxes, ect. I also earn commission on everything we sell, but my minimum is the same every week. The employer will not make me a W-2

I have read that I will have to do this for 2 years and have paid my taxes this way before a mortgage company will even consider it. 

I am determined to buy a house, I have lived in an apartment for 7+ years of bad credt and this is no way to raise a family... Please help, any advice is appreciated.

I have been self empoyed as an independent contractor since 2005. My situation is a bit different because I work for 3 different companies. 2 from the UK, 1 from Canada so obviously they don't send me 1099's. I just keep track of every international wire transfer I receive for the year then claim it as self employment at the end of the year. I would guess you would have to show 2 years of tax returns as a 1099 contractor, but then again I'm no expert lol. I know how it feels to live in an apartment. I have never owned, always rented and I have a 6 year old daughter. We hopefully will buy come October but I know I will still have a few hurdles being self employed I'm sure. I wish you the best of luck :smileywink: 

9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+