cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting approved for a USDA loan through Wells Fargo, do I stand a chance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting approved for a USDA loan through Wells Fargo, do I stand a chance?

Hello,

• My wife and I are trying to purchase a home. I have a very stable job and good income. My credit took quite a hit between 2005 and 2010. I have been good since.
  • We began this process last year. My scores were pulled 2/11 - EFX 597, XPN 511, and TU 483 and my wife's were 0,0, and 0. Pretty ugly! This mortgage broker referred me to a "Credit Counselor". He disputed everything and got a few things off. He recommended we open some credit cards as we had sworn them off. We did by opening one secured and then my wife was approved for one in October unsecured.
  • In July we pulled the reports again. My scores were EFX 577, XPN 527, and TU 558, My wife we did not pull yet.
  • In August Wells Fargo pulled a report - EFX 577, XPN 509, and TU 558, My wife - EFX 652, XPN 679, and TU 663
  • Today I pulled my reports on MyFICO and I have EFX 616 and TU 614. My wife's Credit Karma is 686 (TU FAKO) and Credit Sesame is 676 (XPN FAKO but before CC utilization paid down another 25% bringing it to 18%). I'm not so worried about my wife's as she is obviously higher, and I am the sole income.
  • Wells Fargo is stating that they will accept anything above 600. I am really hoping this is the case. I have three outstanding delinquent debts. Two credit cards totaling $908 and one auto loan $2,914. The auto debt is over 2 years old as is one of the credit cards. However myFICO recommends paying the $908 to raise my TU to 644 - 684. I imagine Wells Fargo will want those debts settled.
  • I look forward to any advice from those who are in or have made through this similar situation.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Yodafer
Established Member

Re: Getting approved for a USDA loan through Wells Fargo, do I stand a chance?

congrats! you guys have come a long way in just 1 year.  That gives me hope for my situation.

I do believe you have to pay off those baddies before getting approved, I would send them pay for delete letters - requesting them to delete them off your credit reports in exchange for payment.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well disappointing news from my LO this morning. Wells Fargo ran my report and got; EFX 616, XPN 591, and TU 579. My wife's were EFX 684, XPN 693, and TU 713. Looks like we still have some work to do. I am trying to get the PFD's. We'll see how that goes.

Message 3 of 21
cracksmeup
Regular Contributor

We are trying to get a USDA loan through Wells Fargo too and they told us the same thing about needing a 600.  Heard somewhere that Bank of America will accept 580 but they never even answer the phone.  Anyway my score from here is 666, it freaked me out when I first saw it, and my girlfriend's was 564.  She got a score watch update yesterday that hers went up to 578.  Now desperately trying to get 23 more points!

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cracksmeup- I feel your pain. I'm 9 points away. I'm just wanting to know why myFICO has a TU score of 614 and Wells Fargo pulls a 579? It seems 35 points is kind of serious. In this case devastating. I'm wondering if it's because one is using TU FICO 08 and the other TU FICO 04? I am paying my most recent delinquent cc off tomorrow morning via moneygram. Apparently these outstanding old revolving accounts are posting against my utilization rate. By doing this I will reduce my utilization down by another 17%. This will mean I have a utilization of 26%. It's below that magic 30%. I'm hoping that does something. I'll post the results.

Of note I pulled my Experian score via $1.00 7-day trial. It gave me a 580 versus the report pulled by Wells Fargo which gave a 591. Where do you go to get a "real" credit score? I'll just plug away at the old debts while keeping current and low balances on my current. Time heals all wounds right?

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yodafer - tried to get a PFD on a card that went delinquent in 2010. However the CC company turned over to a collection agency. They refused a PFD and will not negotiate a lower payment in full. What crap! I'm stuck on this one as I need at least a 9 point increase on my middle score. I'm paying them in the morning via moneygram for which they are releasing an immediate letter of Payment-in-Full. I'll turn around and file that letter with the CRA's and hope for the best.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as an update to this thread.....I submitted copies of the "paid-in-full letter" to the three CRA's and put in on-line disputes. Hopefully this will get quicker results. I also found two public records that were duplicated on my TransUnion report. They agreed to remove them, but that will not post until the $0 balance on the defaulted CC posts. Additionally I will have my two open CC's down below 10% utilization. This should all post by March 23rd. Hopefully then everything will be above 600.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update.....We found a hose my wife and I finally agree on. We know we're waiting on the previous posted actions to report on the CRA's. We don't want to make a move without pre-approval. However, we get a call last night from our real estate agent. She says' "Just got an email from the seller's agent. She's expecting an offer on the house tomorrow. What do you want to do?” I'm thinking, "Is this a pressure tactic? The house has been on the market for over 215 days." We need to decide what to do.

This morning I called our mortgage rep. We reviewed everything I've done, how long will it take to post, etc. He feels we're in pretty good shape, but obviously there are no guarantees. I wanted to wait (have to wait) until the end of the month to request the credit pull. If we want in on this house we have to roll the dice and hope it works out. 

I paid off an old (but the newest defaulted CC closed Jan. 2010) debt, got TU to delete 2 derogatory public records because they were duplicates, and paid my active CC's down from 18% to 5% utilization (if you add a defaulted CC from Dec. 2006, a total utilization down from 52% to 23%). I hope we hit the sweet spot we need. My lender pulled EF 616, EX 591, and TU 579 on Feb. 23rd before these posts. We have to be > 600, but our goal is to hit 640 on the middle score.

My lender says I need 45 days to process a USDA loan, and if I can get to that 640 it makes life much easier. Wish us luck! Thanks!

Message 8 of 21
Tpelc23
Regular Contributor

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us posted. Are you doing USDA Direct or Guarantee?

2/28/12 -TU FICO 646 3/28/12 TU-FICO 647 4/19/20 TU-662,
2/28/12 - EQ FICO 557 3/14/12- EQ FICO 600 3/16/12 EQ FICO 623, EQ FICO 628, 7/2/12 662
2/20/12 - EXP FAKO 620 3/16/12 FAKO 631 FAKO 643 3/28/12 655 (MTG pull) 5/7/12 698

CURRENT GOAL MID 640 LONGTERM 700 CLUBSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I'm so inpatient waiting for this darn score watch to fire over a message. Everything posts so fast if it's not the consumer trying to get something done. The USDA website says 620 makes you elligible for "streamline" financing, but my lender says 640 is the sweet spot where life gets easier.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.