Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting closer to 640.....a quick question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting closer to 640.....a quick question

Most ppl that answer about USDA loans are going based on the USDA handbook. But if you talk to ppl that have actually gotten a USDA loan the "no baddies in 12m" rule may or may not apply depending on your credit and your LO
Message 11 of 15
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I dont owe any money on my reports other than open accounts/loans, but I paid off an account last week and it was reading to me that they dont want you to pay it until closing? why? Whats the difference, and wouldnt it look better that you paid without being forced to?

I panic sometimes because we are getting close to doing USDA and Ive cleared all debt, removed both collections, and have no lates for the past 2 years. Im trying to take the steps to make sure when my score reaches I dont have anything too unexpected come up.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 12 of 15
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

I cleared UW with one smaller-ish unpaid CO from 2005 on a USDA guaranteed loan. It will fall off in 4 months. Let's see if the USDA makes us pay it....

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 13 of 15
jules0580
Regular Contributor

They actually did tell me to pay one after UW, but the other to leave. I was told paying on a collection updates it to an acitve account so it will be an active bad within the last yaer. However if they already pulled your credit and you pay it after that it should be ok, otherwise if you paid it, you can ask the CA to delete it and then it wont matter. But my understanding was you can not have paid the collection within 12 months. I have no idea why it looks better to not have paid it, but thats what Ive ready.

Message 14 of 15
mrordinary
New Contributor

Thanks for all of the answers.... As much as we were/are looking to do USDA guaranteed, we both recently got a pay raise which may put us over the income limit. Therefore, FHA seems more like what we may have to do.... Not set in stone and we will still try. It's weird, the builder's lender wants us to go USDA because he thinks it's easier and FGMC seems to think FHA is easier?

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 649EQ/640EX/642TU
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.