cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready to shop! How do I look?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting ready to shop! How do I look?

I have just a couple comments on the previous advice:

*Conventiobal vs FHA: Conventiobal requires 20% downpayment (some programs can require less with PMI) BUT the interest rate is typically higher for the life of the loan. You need to price out which option makes more sense financially. Give 20% of your reserves AND have a higher interest rate (for example, the prime market on FHA I think is like 3.8 right now and a "good" rate for conventional is like 5%). OR pay 3.5% down, have a much lower rate, and pay PMI. The nice thing about paying that 20% down is you have immediate equity in the house if something were to happen and you needed to sell it or borrow against it. And that's equity you didn't have to pay interest on. However, you should know that you usually have to have excellent credit to qualify and with your wife making the higher income, you will want to use her income and thus her credit so you likely have some work to do on her mortgage scores.

VA vs FHA: the poster who said not to go VA was absolutely wrong. VA is 100% financing, no PMI, no downpayment required. The credit requirements are really very low compared to other loans. The added advantage of VA is that if you don't immediately qualify for the lowest interest rate, you only have to make 6 on time payments and then you can do a streamlined refi, which means if you're only refi-Ing for a lower rate and NOT taking equity out, you don't even need a new appraisal. That's what we are planning to do. There are very very very few options out there that are better than this one. I've seen a few posters here who have somehow gotten a good deal with a credit union (usually one I've never heard of) that go conventional, 3-5% downpayment and somehow also don't have to pay PMI but I'm assuming those people have excellent credit in the 720+ range.

Are you a member with NFCU? They have been raved about for credit cards and low interest rates on auto loans. I know they have mortgage options too. In 6 months of payments for the house we are closing on next week, we will probably use them to refi as my credit profile will be vastly improved by then.

Either way you go, you can always use your VA benefit to purchase down the road when you're eligible but I don't know if you can use it to refi a current house you're living in to remove the PMI, but check into that as well so at the very least if you're stuck paying higher than market interest (conventional) or PMI (FHA) it won't have to be forever.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As for local vs mortgage brokers like Quicken, the standard advice is that correspondent bankers or mortgage lenders (who broker their own loans) are way better at big box banks. They have a relationship with many different banks that have a variety of options and requirements and specialize in only mortgage loans... Vs a small local lender that has fewer options, usually heavier requirements, and they fund the loans so you are not approved for some reason you have to start all over with a completely different bank. Real estate agents IMO try to steer buyers toward local lenders they have a relationship with already. Those local lenders may be a good choice but IMO it could rob you of options. Back before 2008, agents hated to see pre quals or pre approvals from online lenders or non local lenders because of all the really loose guidelines that allowed pre approvals to be done with zero paperwork and deals fell through. Although back then It seemed like ANYONE could get a house. I had a jumbo loan on a house on the coast and only could qualify with my income because my husbands score was so bad and I somehow was able to comps based on my job title and demographic region vs my actual pay (as in this this what I "should" be paid not what I was actually paid). This was in 2006 and it inflated my salary from 55k to 100k I think because I had a big job title lol. That is BAD. But since 2008 there are a lot of regulations and this kind of thing can't happen, so any lender has the same rigorous regulations. The important thing is that you choose a lender you are comfortable with, and will work with you, answers all your questions and is prompt to reply. Agents today that lived in the time proor
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry prior to 2008 still have a bad taste in their mouths when it comes to local vs mortgage brokers. Don't discount either option but don't app until you know both your wife's and your scores are where you need them to be for the type of loan you are going for. For FHA and VA, the requirements are lower than 620 lowest mid score, but 620 will get you through a lot of hurdles because the lender will likely want to sell your loan on the secondary market and they will find it easier to do that with a min 620 score. Conventional you can qualify with a mid 660 but you will get the best interest rates with a mid score of 720 plus. And now you know everything I've ever learned about mortgages 😂
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the info!
Damn if only getting a mortgage was as easy as applying for a credit card lol!
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going to ask another question (i'm sure i'll be adding more and more questions to this thread and others for a while)
I had to take out a small (<3k) federal subsidized student loan this semester. I won't have to make payments on it until at least November 2016 and it won't accrue any interest. How will that factor into my DTI at this time?
Also, it has not yet shown up on my credit report and it was just assigned to a service company. Will it cause a major issue if it shows up between the pre-qual and closing process?
I will receive my state funding in late December so I can pay off the loan then. Should I pay it off right away, or just keep that money for down payment or incidentals?
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a pre-qualification letter from my CU today!

Now it's time to zero in on a house!
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have zero'd in on a house and expect to make an offer in the coming days!
The only question now is whether to put 10% down in cash and have to pay PMI, or take out a 401k loan, put the full 20% down and not have to pay PMI!
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.