Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift money issue

tag
SammiG
New Visitor

Gift money issue

Hi. Longtime lurker, thanks for all the great info. Here is my problem.

My parents gifted me money for a downpayment, but to avoid tax issues they routed part of the money through a friend. The idea was that I would let the funds sit in my bank account to season for 60 days, and they wouldn't have to write a gift letter. I was going to finance through my own bank which takes 45 days to close, so if I started the pre-approval process after the money had been in my account for 30 days, then by the time we cam to close it would have been in there for 60 days/two statements.

I found another lender who was able to offer me better rates, and I wanted to work with them, so I went ahead with my pre-approval with them. Then I find out this lender has an incentive program fro their loan officers to close  within 10 days of an accepted offer (they have a network of inspectors, etc.) So now they want my last 60 days of bank statements- which show two checks deposited, one from my parents and one from their friend who is in no way related to me. My parents don't want to have to sign a letter saying all the money is from them because of the tax implications.

Should I use my pre-approval to make an offer, but then finance through my own bank with their 45-day closing, or what other options might I have? I never anticipated finding a lender who moved so quickly.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Mrs_hambright
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gift money issue

If your parents are not going to write the letter & it may cause problems, I would wait the 45 days.
Message 2 of 7
SammiG
New Visitor

That is what I was afraid of. My bank's rates are not as good as the quick-closing lender. Is there a way a lender would understand my predicament and wait to close/take longer to close for me to have that May bank statement? Or would a lender frown on that?

Message 3 of 7
SammiG
New Visitor

I should ask a specific question. Will a lender/loan officer allow me to request a  closing period of 30 days to wait on my May bank statements, or will the lender or underwriter feel that is disingenuous?

Message 4 of 7
Mrs_hambright
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure... I'm a new bee.. I hope someone can help you
Message 5 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you close when you want.... not when the lender wants

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@SammiG wrote:

Hi. Longtime lurker, thanks for all the great info. Here is my problem.

My parents gifted me money for a downpayment, but to avoid tax issues they routed part of the money through a friend. The idea was that I would let the funds sit in my bank account to season for 60 days, and they wouldn't have to write a gift letter. I was going to finance through my own bank which takes 45 days to close, so if I started the pre-approval process after the money had been in my account for 30 days, then by the time we cam to close it would have been in there for 60 days/two statements.

I found another lender who was able to offer me better rates, and I wanted to work with them, so I went ahead with my pre-approval with them. Then I find out this lender has an incentive program fro their loan officers to close  within 10 days of an accepted offer (they have a network of inspectors, etc.) So now they want my last 60 days of bank statements- which show two checks deposited, one from my parents and one from their friend who is in no way related to me. My parents don't want to have to sign a letter saying all the money is from them because of the tax implications.

Should I use my pre-approval to make an offer, but then finance through my own bank with their 45-day closing, or what other options might I have? I never anticipated finding a lender who moved so quickly.

My opinion is that you are trying too hard to game the system/process and it may cause you pain if you are not careful. My recommendation is that you sit tight and let that gift money season for the full 60 days and then move forward.

Will be be buying a resale home or new construction from a builder?

Most sellers will want a 30 days closing time frame while it could be less if it an inventory house and much longer if one to be built.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.