Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going crazy, what is the sellers won't pay for repairs? :( please advise

tag
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

Going crazy, what is the sellers won't pay for repairs? :( please advise

Ok so recently I put in an offer on a house.  Inspection was done and it turns out there are three major things that need to be done.  House need termite treatment (termites were found in a small storage room on the back of the house), septic tank need maintanance and HVAC system in the 2nd fl needs repairs.  There are a lot of other little things that I am not worried about but these are major repairs.  The seller put in the contract he is selling property "as is" makes no repairs but I am paying the exact amount that he listed the house for.  I am waiting for an answer right now.  My agent says she thinks he will pay since these are things the seller is now required to notify the next person that tried to buy the home, but she says if he won't I can walk away and only lose my due diligence money which is only $100.00 but I would have to pay out of pocket for all the inspections which add up to about 900$.  If the seller walks away, is it really worth it to have this fixed instead of walking away?  I am still lossing about 1k if it happens... advise would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Going crazy, what is the sellers won't pay for repairs? :( please advise

It is a sellers market right now, they hold the cards

Message 2 of 4
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I don't think anybody can say if it's worth it, because the question is whether it's worth it to you. Only you can decide that. FWIW, this is a fairly common situation. In my experience, it often ends up with the seller agreeing to leave money for the repairs on the table at closing and the repairs get done to your specifications later. (That's not the only way to handle it of course.)

The seller almost certainly will cover the repairs in some way. If he doesn't, the bank may not finance the place.

If for some reason the repairs don't get covered, you have to decide whether you're willing to take the risk because you love the house so much or you're willing to lose your upfront money.

Message 3 of 4
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

When we sold our home, we got a list of demands. A few things we were like no way

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.