Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good idea to refi?

tag
madnutz
New Contributor

Good idea to refi?

Hello,  My lender that got me my loan reached out ot me recently with an option to refinance my loan, according to the numbers they sent me it would save me about 200 bucks a month here are my details

-Original loan started in october of 2013, so I have only had the loan for about a year

-Loan is an FHA loan and I only put down 3%(wish I could do a conventional loan but needed a home and coudn't do 20%)

-interest rate for loan is currently at 4.25%

-New loan terms according to lender documents would be at 3.75%

They sent me some document that list proposal of new terms such as new interest rate, all the fees associated with the refinance etc... would drop my payment from 1600 to about 1400 and change, anything I should look out for? Suggestions? I feel like it's too good to be true lol any advice is apprecaited thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
madnutz
New Contributor

Re: Good idea to refi?

Let me know if more info is needed

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like a fair offer.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the extent of the fees? You need to combine the fees for this with how much you'll save in the future, preferably adjusting for the time value of money.

Message 4 of 10
madnutz
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the extent of the fees? You need to combine the fees for this with how much you'll save in the future, preferably adjusting for the time value of money.

In regards to me, I don't have to pay anything out of pocket to get the loan done, but obiously someone's gotta pay Smiley Tongue  I really don't know if these fees are normal or if they are just adding stuff... Here is what the paper work says

Lender Fees

• Credit report - 50.00
  • Processing fee - 800
  • Underwriting fee - 700

Mortage Insurance premium /Financed funding fee

• Monthly - .850%
  • Upfront 1.750%  - $4,058.41

Estimated Title Charges

• Escrow Fee - 339
  • Endorements - 360

Here is the final breakdown

• Sales Price/Payoff - $233,409
  • Est Lender Fees - 1,550.00
  • Est Prepaid/Reserve - $1656.76
  • Est Title Charges - $699
  • MTG INs/Funding Fee - $4058.41
  • Total Costs - $241,373.17

Message 5 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@madnutz wrote:

Hello,  My lender that got me my loan reached out ot me recently with an option to refinance my loan, according to the numbers they sent me it would save me about 200 bucks a month here are my details

-Original loan started in october of 2013, so I have only had the loan for about a year

-Loan is an FHA loan and I only put down 3%(wish I could do a conventional loan but needed a home and coudn't do 20%)

-interest rate for loan is currently at 4.25%

-New loan terms according to lender documents would be at 3.75%

They sent me some document that list proposal of new terms such as new interest rate, all the fees associated with the refinance etc... would drop my payment from 1600 to about 1400 and change, anything I should look out for? Suggestions? I feel like it's too good to be true lol any advice is apprecaited thanks

Be careful here. It is common for some lenders/mortgage brokers etc to send out attractive terms, but then when you actually make application either the rate is higher or the closing costs increase or both.

You will want the lender to provide in writing your specific actual terms so you have a good comparison tool.  This could be a GFE or a informal closing costs worksheet (usually done prior to application).

Right now if you make application after Jan 26 the FHA mortgage insurance is significantly less than it is today.

Also, if you refi, look up other lenders to compare your rate and your costs. Compare in writing - not just verbal.

Check the value of your property. It has been over a year and in some markets the value of properties has risen substantially. Get a free market analysis from a trusted Realtor so you know going in an approx value. Naturally the lender will have to get another appraisal. You might even be able to get your LTV under 90% which would mean that the MI would drop off after 11 years. Make sure you inquire about that.

Message 6 of 10
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Up front mortgage insurance? It doesn't really make sense to refi with that...

Message 7 of 10
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Looks like a refi into another FHA loan.  When did you buy your home?  

Message 8 of 10
madnutz
New Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

Looks like a refi into another FHA loan.  When did you buy your home?  

I bought my home OCT 2013,  so it's only been a little over a year, my plan with this ref(assuming it looks good and it goes through) was to keep making the same payments as I was before maybe even add a little more to the payment each month to try to get to 20% as fast as I can.

As far as the home value goes, my home values really haven't gone up around my area, 

Message 9 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Peter1142 wrote:

Up front mortgage insurance? It doesn't really make sense to refi with that...

fha to fha refi?

you get an ufpmi refund of about 80% from the unused portion on the old loan.

so it isnt that bad

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.