cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H E L P OPTED OUT and STILL getting random OLD collections!!!!

tag
cocomadd
Regular Contributor

Re: H E L P OPTED OUT and STILL getting random OLD collections!!!!

So sorry to hear you had so much trouble with these junk collectors!  I hope that will NOT be the case with me.  I believe there is an opportunity for you to sue them.  Is the collection more than $500?  You may be able to let it ride and still qualify if it has nor decreased your score beyond 640.  In my case, it decreased my husband's score to 636 and we need to get it removed togain some points!!!  These people should be jailed!!!

Exp/647-Fako
EQ/629-Fico
Trans/656-Fako
NEW SCORES
EX/665
EQ/642
Trans/656 Fako

This is new to me but I will take the 750+ challenge! Goal by May 2014
Message 11 of 19
fot1
Established Contributor

@cocomadd wrote:

Well,  I have the highest middle, so far.  But we are both are pretty much close to borderline.  The statute of limitations in my state is 3 years.  Yes, I uderstand about the 7 year thing, but this is an old claim that was never on my report and it is reporting like a current claim; therefore, they have breached the fair reporting laws. 

I am tempted to PFD, but I truly believe I am being had here and I do not want to give in to these fraudulent practices.   If I do not see this work for me I will go for the PFD route, time is of the essence as well. I am sending out the letter certified mail to these Junk collectors and will check my report 7 days after to see if anything changed.  the letter worked for me in the past.  It states in legal terms how it is illegal to report with wrong dates, past stat. of limitations, validation, and to verify if they can collect in my state (if licensed for our state etc)...etc.

Are you looking at your reports from the 3 cb's or from a third party site? Dates and  how items are listed vary greatly on third party  reports.

Too many to list..
Message 12 of 19
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

Hate to tell you but opting out does help however that does not stop the CRA's from telling collection agencies that you are applying for a mortgage. CA's pay the CRA's for this information. You are actually scored like a FICO score in a way on how collectible you are. If you apply for a mortgage that is a good indicator that you have money and you will get random collection agencies popping up. I know it sucks but the CRA's are not in the business of charity.

Message 13 of 19
MaRain
Regular Contributor

@cocomadd wrote:

How do you opt out from Experian??? Confused....Smiley Indifferent

You are supposed to be opted out from EX when you opt out through the website/phone but after researching this online, the consensus seems that this is not the case. On my EQ an TU, it does list that I am opted out (or some other version of this) but I don't see this anywhere on my EX report. 

It wasn't until I applied for, and was approved for a Discover card earlier this month that I noticed that 2 CA's had soft pulled my EX credit reports the next day (I had applied the evening before and although EQ was initially used, Discover also pulled EX). It could be coincidence but the soft pulls did not occur on EQ or TU (which I had also applied for, and was approved for, cc's that pulled EQ and TU exclusively). I am going to try the permanent opt out through Experian and see if that helps. 

As others have mentioned on these boards, opting out does not stop CA's from pulling your credit reports, but it seems that the CA's are not "notified" when you are seeking new credit either (which comes in handy since judging from my reports, they don't regularly pull. It seems only when I have applied for credit/bank accounts). But it could be a result of my debt being way past the SOL and nearing the CRTP by the end of this year, YMMV. 

Has anyone opted out of EX and it shows on their report that they are opted out?

Back in the garden until 10/2015.

Starting Score: EQ 714, EX 658, TU 691 (pulled by mortgage lender on 10/7/14)
Current Score: EQ 656, EX 660, TU 660 (FAKOS pulled on 3/26/15)
Goal Score: EQ 760, EX 700, TU 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 19
MaRain
Regular Contributor

@Mondavi wrote:

Hate to tell you but opting out does help however that does not stop the CRA's from telling collection agencies that you are applying for a mortgage. CA's pay the CRA's for this information. You are actually scored like a FICO score in a way on how collectible you are. If you apply for a mortgage that is a good indicator that you have money and you will get random collection agencies popping up. I know it sucks but the CRA's are not in the business of charity.

+1,000,000

Message 15 of 19
cocomadd
Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

I went to credit karma to see what effect this new/old junk collection did to my score and it tanked my score by 39 points!!!!  I went from 667 to 628!!!!  I am so livid I do not even know what to do??!  I have already reported to CFPB over the weekend, so now I wait....Please send any other suggestions!!!  I am hanging in there, but almost tempted to throw in the towelSmiley Sad

Exp/647-Fako
EQ/629-Fico
Trans/656-Fako
NEW SCORES
EX/665
EQ/642
Trans/656 Fako

Message 16 of 19
MaRain
Regular Contributor

The score that you get from CreditKarma is a FAKO, if you want a better gauge of what your score EQ score is, try the myFICO one. It's the Beacon 5 model that most (but not all) lenders use. Not sure about the other FICOs that are sold here (although they are true scores but maybe not the one lenders use). 

CreditKarma is good for gauging the trends of your credit but may be way off on your true score. 

Message 17 of 19
1LNurse
Established Member

+1 for myfico score being the closest thing to your lender scores. My score with credit karma was 40 points more than the lender pull!

Message 18 of 19
cocomadd
Regular Contributor

What annoys me is it appears that this FICO scoring is off from CRA to CRA...It also appears to me that it is a racket!!!  They purposely release your info to other parties...then you are forced to purchase their products to keep on top of the game.  I appreciate this site...but when I need to fix something or research something it costs me so much $$$.  I have spend a lot of money on credit reports, scores, etc.... There should be legislation that would allow for us to access our reports and scores on a daily basis if needed.  it is our credit our life!  How can we as consumers rise above and fix our financial issues if we do not have the information readily available to us!!!  I called Experian to get an account number of a junk debt that appeared on my report and I was told I had to have a current credit report number in order for them to provide the account number!!!  Then she continued to try and get me to purchase one!  One year FREE report is not sufficient!!!  I am so upset about these practices.  I believe there may be legislation in the works to stop this....does anyone know if there is?...I may start the process if not.

Exp/647-Fako
EQ/629-Fico
Trans/656-Fako
NEW SCORES
EX/665
EQ/642
Trans/656 Fako

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.