cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC Utilization - Draw Entire or Leave Some?

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

HELOC Utilization - Draw Entire or Leave Some?

I have a $25k HELOC with DCU that allows for single advances to be converted to fixed rate P&I loans.  I am starting a kitchen project and am using the HELOC and some savings.  I am debating whether to draw the entire $25k and convert it to the fixed rate advance, or leave a small amount (say $1k) available.  I'm sure leaving such a small amount won't make a huge impact in utilization but I wanted to see if there were another reason I should go one way or another.  Either way, my credit line is restored as I pay principal (likely over a 10 year term, though maybe sooner).

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: HELOC Utilization - Draw Entire or Leave Some?

I'm not familiar with DCU's HELOC. Does it allow a combination like that - both fixed and a remaining variable?  I would think that if it allows a conversion to a fixed loan the entire loan would have to be one type. It's a good question to ask DCU. Smiley Happy

PS - how very nice to get a new kitchen! Have fun working on it. 

Message 2 of 3
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELOC Utilization - Draw Entire or Leave Some?

The answer is you can have both fixed and floating.  Up to two advances at any one time can be fixed rate.  

You draw on the credit line and then contact DCU to convert to fixed.  They run your credit again and then give you their current home equity loan rate for the term you want.  The fixed rate loan then shows up as a separate loan account (it also might show up as an installment loan on your credit - would be nice if it did instead of showing 96% utilization on the line).  As you pay down the principal on that advance, the paid principal is added back to your available credit on the floating rate line.  As far as I can tell (both via the website and a phone call), there are no fees for doing this.

https://www.dcu.org/loans/home-equity-plus.html

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.