Regular Contributor
realworldknowledge

HELOC ?

If you LTV for the first mortgage is >80%, is a HELOC out of the question? Or can you use the appraised value to open up the line?
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

Re: HELOC ?

on a purchase?

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004
Lel

realworldknowledge wrote:
If you LTV for the first mortgage is >80%, is a HELOC out of the question? Or can you use the appraised value to open up the line?

I'm not sure I see the distinction between the home value that is used to calculate the LTV and the appraised value.

I just obtained a HELOC. The LTV ratio of my first loan is about 78%, and the combined LTV of this and the HELOC limit is about 89%. I first tried to obtain this HELOC from B of A, but they wouldn't allow a combined LTV greater than 85%, and I needed a higher line. US Bank allowed a higher LTV (up to 90%), so I got my HELOC from them. They may have changed the requirements in the last few weeks, however.

When I was shopping around, all other lenders drew the line at 85%; US Bank was the exception (thanks to Shane for pointing me in their direction). So if your LTV is less than 90%, then you might be able to get a HELOC from US Bank too.

They're going to do their own desktop appraisal, though. They came up with a value for my home that was lower than I expected, and when I tried to give them the appraisal from B of A that came up with a higher value, they wouldn't take it. They said they would send someone out, but it would cost me anywhere from $350-$700 for a walk-through appraisal. I decided to pass.
Regular Contributor
realworldknowledge

Sorry LTV from purchase price.
Lel

If you bought your home fairly recently, then the HELOC lender might accept the appraisal that was done at the time of purchase. I don't think they will use the purchase price. If it has been more than a few months since you bought your place, then they'll most likely do their own appraisal.
Regular Contributor
realworldknowledge

got it.  Thank you.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+