Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELOC ?

If you LTV for the first mortgage is >80%, is a HELOC out of the question? Or can you use the appraised value to open up the line?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: HELOC ?

on a purchase?
Retired Lender
Message 2 of 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
If you LTV for the first mortgage is >80%, is a HELOC out of the question? Or can you use the appraised value to open up the line?

I'm not sure I see the distinction between the home value that is used to calculate the LTV and the appraised value.

I just obtained a HELOC. The LTV ratio of my first loan is about 78%, and the combined LTV of this and the HELOC limit is about 89%. I first tried to obtain this HELOC from B of A, but they wouldn't allow a combined LTV greater than 85%, and I needed a higher line. US Bank allowed a higher LTV (up to 90%), so I got my HELOC from them. They may have changed the requirements in the last few weeks, however.

When I was shopping around, all other lenders drew the line at 85%; US Bank was the exception (thanks to Shane for pointing me in their direction). So if your LTV is less than 90%, then you might be able to get a HELOC from US Bank too.

They're going to do their own desktop appraisal, though. They came up with a value for my home that was lower than I expected, and when I tried to give them the appraisal from B of A that came up with a higher value, they wouldn't take it. They said they would send someone out, but it would cost me anywhere from $350-$700 for a walk-through appraisal. I decided to pass.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry LTV from purchase price.
Message 4 of 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

If you bought your home fairly recently, then the HELOC lender might accept the appraisal that was done at the time of purchase. I don't think they will use the purchase price. If it has been more than a few months since you bought your place, then they'll most likely do their own appraisal.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

got it.  Thank you.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.