mrlandry357

HELOC

how will applying and getting a HELOC affect my fico? a small one, 10K.

Lel

Re: HELOC

HELOCs with credit limits below about $50,000 will be treated as revolving debt, and will be included in the calculation of utilization.  So if you max out your HELOC, it will be treated as a maxed out credit card in your score.

There will be other effects on your score.  There will be an initial negative impact due to the opening of a new account, but you may see a net long-term increase in score since the HELOC adds diversity to your credit profile.

Regular Contributor
geronimo2008

Both EQ and TU list my HELOC of $50k as a mortgage and that is reflected in the utilization percentages they calculate.  Experian aslways classified it as an installment loan
New Visitor
kimdray

How are HELCs for above $50,000 treated?  I have paid off my mortgage and would like to get a HELC for 70% of the value of my house just in case of an emergency but don't want to bring down my very good FICO score.

Moderator Emeritus
fused

kimdray wrote:

How are HELCs for above $50,000 treated?  I have paid off my mortgage and would like to get a HELC for 70% of the value of my house just in case of an emergency but don't want to bring down my very good FICO score.

Its more than likely they will report as an installment account and not a revolving account.

Credit Cards:
Amex BCP 25K ~ Amex Clear 25K ~ Amex Platinum NPSL ~ Chase Freedom Visa 19.3K ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard 20.3K ~ FIA Fidelity Investments Platinum Plus Visa 40K ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa 10K

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+