Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELOC

how will applying and getting a HELOC affect my fico? a small one, 10K.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELOC

HELOCs with credit limits below about $50,000 will be treated as revolving debt, and will be included in the calculation of utilization.  So if you max out your HELOC, it will be treated as a maxed out credit card in your score.

There will be other effects on your score.  There will be an initial negative impact due to the opening of a new account, but you may see a net long-term increase in score since the HELOC adds diversity to your credit profile.

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

HELOCs with credit limits below about $50,000 will be treated as revolving debt, and will be included in the calculation of utilization.  So if you max out your HELOC, it will be treated as a maxed out credit card in your score.

There will be other effects on your score.  There will be an initial negative impact due to the opening of a new account, but you may see a net long-term increase in score since the HELOC adds diversity to your credit profile.

Message 2 of 5
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

Both EQ and TU list my HELOC of $50k as a mortgage and that is reflected in the utilization percentages they calculate.  Experian aslways classified it as an installment loan
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are HELCs for above $50,000 treated?  I have paid off my mortgage and would like to get a HELC for 70% of the value of my house just in case of an emergency but don't want to bring down my very good FICO score.

Message 4 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

How are HELCs for above $50,000 treated?  I have paid off my mortgage and would like to get a HELC for 70% of the value of my house just in case of an emergency but don't want to bring down my very good FICO score.

Its more than likely they will report as an installment account and not a revolving account.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.