Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! MORTGAGE DATA SECURITY BREACH

tag
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

HELP! MORTGAGE DATA SECURITY BREACH

Hi,

DH and I are building a new house, and have been approved for a mortgage by the builder's mortgage company. We just got a notice that their on-line pre-approval site got hacked, and all our info has been compromised--SSN, DL #, DOB, employment history, salary, everything. Smiley Sad

We immediately placed a fraud alert against our files with the credit bureaus as per the mortgage company's instructions, but now I'm wondering about repercussions down the line. Does a fraud alert impact FICO scoring at all? I wouldn't think so, but I don't want to assume anything. Will this cause us any difficulty if we decide to shop for a better rate as we get closer to closing? We applied with their mortgage company just to get the ball rolling, but have considered shopping around for a better deal. I'm a little freaked...Smiley Frustrated

thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELP! MORTGAGE DATA SECURITY BREACH

I got this same email today. It will be interesting to see what people suggest to do.
Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 2 of 5
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

bump...any feedback please? Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 5
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Put a credit FREEZE on your CR.  It will cost a tiny bit of money each time you need to unfreeze and refreeze ($10 at each CRA), but I would ask the mortgage company to pay that for anything they need.  Current creditors can see the account and you can get a PIN that you can provide other folks you want to get credit from.

Here's the deal - a fraud alert simply tells the creditors they have to take extra steps to make sure it's you.  A freeze means no new folks can look at your report.  One is a little more safety (fraud alert) one is foolproof (freeze).

Considering the amount of info they have, and the fact that you are building a house, I would definately go for the freeze and ask them to cough up the 30 bucks.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 4 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I would also get new bank account #'s and if they have info about 401K then you need to contact that company, too.  Protect all assets.  Sorry this happened to you!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.