Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Refinance-Wrong Name on Deed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP! Refinance-Wrong Name on Deed

All, i'm posting my relatively smooth FHA Streamline refinance story in another thread but thought I'd keep myself from worrying all night long. 

My current deed has the name "Sue" instead of my legal name "Susan".  Same last name.  I received a copy of my refinance loan documents to review for this Wednesday's closing (8/22).  They used the name "Sue".  Shouldn't the closing documents contain my legal name?  I do sign "Sue" Lastname all the time. 

Am I looking at a possible delay in closing if I want to get this fixed before closing r is this something that the current refinance title company can easily fix? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELP! Refinance-Wrong Name on Deed

While I was in UW my married name popped up on checking account.  Well it was like I was trying to hide something but I totally forgot to change my name on drivers license, I wrote a letter of explanation and provided proof that I had a legal right to said name.  At closing they had so many variations of my name until I was wondering how in the world they could generate this many alias.  End it still worked out.

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just wondering if I should just sign all of the paperwork "Susan" Lastname even though it's "Sue" Lastname on everything.  Then, after close contact the original title company that screwed up and tell them to fix it.  I've already mentioned it to the loan officer so we'll see how this plays out. 

Interesting enough, I pulled the original loan paperwork and everything had "Susan" Lastname EXCEPT the title insurance and the quit claim deed.  The cover letter from the title company had my legal name though.  I may just sign up for my company's group legal plan next week (coincidently it's sign up week next week for the year) and then have a Real Estate lawyer fix the mess for me after the fact. 

Anyone else ever run into this at closing? 

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Actually it sounds like a title company error that you can have them fix.

That is what title insurance is all about.

Have them fix it before you close on your new loan.

Message 4 of 7
stacyjuhl
Visitor

If the deed into you is "Sue", then the loan and mortgage documents have to be "Sue".  It's not a big deal and not worth worrying about.  Ideally when you bought the house, the name used should have been your legal name.  But it's not worth the cost of correcting.  When you sell, likely the attorney preparaing the paperwork will have you sign as "Sue" again to transfer the deed to the new owner.  I have also seen banks require a Name Affidavit in which you swear that Sue and Susan are "one and the same person".  The bank attorney may also want this language in the mortgage.  But seriously, not a big deal.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for alleviating my concern!  I ended up going ahead and have the current title company draw up a Grant Deed (Quitclaim) as part of the closing documents and had my name changed on all of the documents.  I'm kind of a stickler for details so it was worth the extra $56 I paid ($10 for the document and $46 for county filing fees).  There is one additional step that I may need to take which is to get a copy of the deed after its been recorded, contact the original title company (the one that screwed up) and have them change my title insurance policy.  Got that on the things to do when I don't have anything better to do list.  Thanks again!

Message 6 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I had to sign a document which listed the other names on my credit report such as my former married name and my normal name but without the middle name in the middle.

It was something like:

I certify that I have also been identified in the past as Jane Doe; Jane Doe Deer; Jane Susan Doe.

Signed: Jane Susan Doe*

*names have been changed to protect the innocent
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.