Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP..lender wants SECOND appraisal?!?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP..lender wants SECOND appraisal?!?!

I hope someone can shine some light on this situation for me.  We are in the final straights of closing on a short sale property with an FHA 203k streamline loan.  The lender gave us a million conditions, none of which was significant (except paying off some small collections, all done) and we completed them all.  Our appraisal was done 4 weeks ago and came in at 230K, the loan amount would be for 228K so we were ok.  Last week they gave us their "final conditions"  which were basically getting some papers signed by the contractor.  No problem, done. Yesterday, my broker calls and says that they did some kind of desktop valuation that came in at 159K ???????  That's outrageous.  So the lender told him they now want a SECOND appraisal?

1) The main issue with this is that we are under a deadline.  We have received two extensions from the seller's bank and now I'm told, there is no way we can close by the 16th.  I don't believe the seller's bank will give us a third extension...although we are going to ask anyway.  2) The second issue is, who pays for this appraisal?  I already paid for one, I don't think its fair to pay for another just because their desktop program says something outrageous?  How can I even know that they entered proper info into that valuation program? 3) Do they have any right at this late stage to do this?  I'm wondering if its even allowed with FHA to just ignore an appraisal for no apparent reason. I'm also scared about what happens if the next appraisal comes in at say 220K?  The seller's aren't going to care since one appraisal was already in line.  They are not going to lower the price for a second appraisal they didn't even want.  Our contract only talks about one appraisal.    

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks, Jenny 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: HELP..lender wants SECOND appraisal?!?!

1. the seller wants this done. think they want to start over with a new buyer?

2. you do. although... theirstoopid desk review might have been a simple 'comp check' and included "non-like" properties or other distressed sales. a real appraiser would address thedistress sales unless ALL of the sales were distressed sales and then if that was the case, your value is down there with those.

3.  yes. it's called the golden rule.... the man with the gold gets to nake the rules.

what does your loan officer say about all of this?

what does your realtor say about all of this?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope someone can shine some light on this situation for me.  We are in the final straights of closing on a short sale property with an FHA 203k streamline loan.  The lender gave us a million conditions, none of which was significant (except paying off some small collections, all done) and we completed them all.  Our appraisal was done 4 weeks ago and came in at 230K, the loan amount would be for 228K so we were ok.  Last week they gave us their "final conditions"  which were basically getting some papers signed by the contractor.  No problem, done. Yesterday, my broker calls and says that they did some kind of desktop valuation that came in at 159K ???????  That's outrageous.  So the lender told him they now want a SECOND appraisal?

1) The main issue with this is that we are under a deadline.  We have received two extensions from the seller's bank and now I'm told, there is no way we can close by the 16th.  I don't believe the seller's bank will give us a third extension...although we are going to ask anyway.  2) The second issue is, who pays for this appraisal?  I already paid for one, I don't think its fair to pay for another just because their desktop program says something outrageous?  How can I even know that they entered proper info into that valuation program? 3) Do they have any right at this late stage to do this?  I'm wondering if its even allowed with FHA to just ignore an appraisal for no apparent reason. I'm also scared about what happens if the next appraisal comes in at say 220K?  The seller's aren't going to care since one appraisal was already in line.  They are not going to lower the price for a second appraisal they didn't even want.  Our contract only talks about one appraisal.    

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks, Jenny 

I would try getting answers to these questions from your loan officer and your realtor.

My husband is an appraiser, and he often does review appraisals after the fact...like 2 years down the line when the property has gone through foreclosure. He can often easily document that the appraisal was too high, even during the bubble economy.

He recently had an experience which was opposite from yours. He did an appraisal that the mortgage broker and seller decided was too low, so they appraisal shopped and found someone who would put a seal of approval on the deal. They ordered and got a higher appraisal.

I would urge that you try to look at the bigger picture here. Maybe this appriasal was too high. Without knowing the details, that's not something that can be known. This new appraisal could mean protection for you and keep you from overpaying. You mention that this is a short sale. Was there competition for this property when you bought it? How long had it been listed? Short sales don't always mean value. They mean that the former owner paid a certain amount (that may or may not have been fair at the time), and now values in the area have dropped. Too many people think that buying in a short sale situation means they got a deal. It doesn't.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lynette,

The property is in very difficult place to appraise.  Its in a mixed community where there are 500K homes (750k in bubble), median homes like ours and lower cost condos and townhouses. All within a 3 block radius. So I wouldn't doubt that any two appraisals cold differ 25K and both have sound back-up.  Yes, there was competition for it, mulitple bids.  There isn't much inventory in that neighborhood, although an unfamiliar appraiser might include surrounding neighborhoods, which do have more inventory, but are distinct from this area.  We bid on three houses in our neighborhood, and all had multiple bids and went for above listing price.  The sellers are still getting calls about this house.  They could have another buyer for the same price within a week.  So, while I completely understand that appraisals are there to protect the buyer/lender, I am very certain that our first appraisal was correct.

You are right that I need answers from my loan broker.  I hope to get them tomorrow.  Thank you so much for your responses though, patience is not my forte.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.