Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP!!!!!

I am currently in the process of applying for a mortgage and just got a random call from a debt collector on my voicemail. I had spent the entire year last year paying everyone I owed but it looks like when I was working with a credit repair agency(big mistake) they got a debt deleted that I completly forgot about. I am worried that that may be what is going on. I have not answered the calls and there is nothing new on my credit report. I will need to close in Nov. I have not gotten any written notifications either. I was thinking of hiring an attorney to help negotiate a pay for not reporting as I don't want to lose my house. Any adivse on what to do so that this does not show up on my report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP!!!!!

Can you tell me how much it was and what's it's for? If it was a medical collection your action will be different than if it wasn't. Collection agencies typically will give you 30 days from initial notification to pay it off to keep it off your credit so if it's a relatively small bill and you owe it, it might make sense to pay it off before the 30 days timeframe to keep it off your report.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joy99 is concerned so typed in

" I  just got a random call from a debt collector on my voicemail"

-Find out who it is and what they want.  Cross check that info with your credit report, and past history.  Could be a mistake ( would not be the first time)

-Dont mention you are in the mortgage process while in the conversation

-when you get that info call your money people and advise them what ya found out, even if its not on your credit report.  That will allow you to sleep at night without worrying about whats gonna happen if it DOES show up on your report at some point.

-You might have to pay them some money to make em go away

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I haven't called yet but the only thing I can think of is that it is and credit card account for about 1000. The issue it got deleted before was the dates were wrong and the amount had interest in it. I suppose i may just pay it so it doesnt come back
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a good idea to do the 'opt out' process before you app for a mortgage so the bottom feeder CAs cant see who applied for one.

I dont know if it will help now because this one found you, but I would do it anyway.  You can always put it back after the closing on your house.

GL

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I would have known about the opt out thing before but I just did it. I do feel better knowing that the company may settle for a payment in exchange for not reporting.  I just want to close already!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.