Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOAs and Dti. My Mortgage soup

tag
redsox31324
New Contributor

HOAs and Dti. My Mortgage soup

We received our entire loan application and disclosure papers on Friday. Looking through it I noticed that there wasn't any mention of HOAs when they broke down the total housing paperwork. Our total payment sits at $1957, while my other bills total $550 on the worksheet. My income is stated as $6200. Now in reality, I made about $117,000 last year. I'm in a commission based job, and they averaged out over the last three 1/2 years. (I took 10 months of in between to start my own business - not a good idea, but good experience)
Now my question is, should I bring up the HOAs now? They total about $67 a month and are due in one lump sum at the beginning of the year.
Without the HOAs, I'm sitting at I believe 40% dti, with them added in, I'm like right at 43%.
It's a VA loan.
Now in no way do I want to commit any type of fraud, because I know that I can afford the total payment easily with my real monthly income (roughly $10k a month).
Will I safely be within my Dti range even at 43%? Or do I keep my trap shut, and wait until it gets brought up?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: HOAs and Dti. My Mortgage soup

Notify them now.

Message 2 of 7
redsox31324
New Contributor

Yeah, I'm going to. Am I also understanding correctly that VA loan maximum is 41%?
Message 3 of 7
edcampbell613
Contributor

Not 41% That is a bank overlay.

I have seen up to 50%

Find a corresponding lender.

Message 4 of 7
redsox31324
New Contributor

Ok, good.  My LO keeps assuring me that we are find as far as dti.  She says everything looks great, but I wanted to make sure everything is all set going into underwriting.

Message 5 of 7
edcampbell613
Contributor

You might want to ask your LO what the DTI max is for their VA programs.

I am surprised they used an average of 3 years, Normal is 2.

Sounds like a conservative lender.

Message 6 of 7
redsox31324
New Contributor

They are using a three year average because I have only been back to work at my current job for 1 1/2 years and the full two years include my owning my own business that I made very little.  Total time in this job is like three years, so they told me they were trying to show a pattern of earning over that time.  And if they include my "down" time, it still averages out enough to qualify.  Bottom line is that everything lines up even with the most conservative underwriter.  We are scheduled to close 4/9/14, so we have a good amount of time to go to underwriting

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.