cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW LOW DO THEY GO THESE DAYS ? (credit scores for FHA and Conventional Loans)

tag
Nli810dBeauty

HOW LOW DO THEY GO THESE DAYS ? (credit scores for FHA and Conventional Loans)

Hello everyone. I am waiting on a Loan Officer to review my financials and give me a Pre-Approval letter. I checked my credit and I had a median score of 649, however, he stated his mortgage check showed I was at 609. HUGE Difference! He requires a median score of 640 for his lenders. Does anyone know of lenders that will take 609 or lower?  Any up-to-date information would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Dallas, TX.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: HOW LOW DO THEY GO THESE DAYS ? (credit scores for FHA and Conventional Loans)

Your looking at a 640 min for FHA and a 680 min for conventional.

Message 2 of 12
igids1
Regular Contributor

Re: HOW LOW DO THEY GO THESE DAYS ? (credit scores for FHA and Conventional Loans)

Im going conventional with a 660. They told me they could go as low as 620. Its a local credit union and I am putting 25% down.

Message 3 of 12
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

FHA is 640 min, wow. I thought it was 620. The score requirements keep rising.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 12
jeffcasd
Established Member

FHA is 580 min but you will have a hard time even finding someone to do 620

Starting Score: 647 equifax fico 660 Transunion fico 627 experian fico lender pulled
Current Score: 648,660,627
Goal Score: 735 across the board
Message 5 of 12
jeffcasd
Established Member

scratch that post i mis spoke i believe the min is 620

Starting Score: 647 equifax fico 660 Transunion fico 627 experian fico lender pulled
Current Score: 648,660,627
Goal Score: 735 across the board
Message 6 of 12
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

If you have 20 percent down, yes you can go conventional with a 620.

Message 7 of 12
Nli810dBeauty

Thanks yall. I was getting excited bc I saw some posts in 2012 stating they got approved with 593 ect. I guess those days are long gone.

Message 8 of 12
joe12

I believe there are a few lenders out there that will go as low as 580. First Guaranty Mortgage is one, and First Mortgage corp is another. On their website it says down to 500 scores for FHA.

Message 9 of 12
foofighter74
Established Contributor

You can find places that will go pretty low for FHA, but both the government, and the lender, are going to require a lot more money down on the house, and they'll probably need to see lots of reserves.  The lower your score, the more hoops you're going to have to jump through. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.