Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUD Approval on FHA Back to Work

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HUD Approval on FHA Back to Work

I think my question is simple. If you look at my previous post you will see we have been trying to get approved for a mortgage under the FHA Back to Work program since March. We were denid by one bank so we decided to try another bank - actually a broker. I am not going to go into the boring details. We submitted the application two weeks ago today. The broker contacted me on Thursday to say the lender wanted a copy of my BK 7 full application and the discharge notice - want to see that the house was surrendered. I provided it. She tells me today that the lender is waiting for HUD to approve. My understanding is that HUD does not approve loans - they just are the final step after lender approves to clear CAIVRS - according to the mortgage letter I have read. The lender has to fully underwrite the loan and approve and then send to HUD. Does anyone know any different? Is there finally a light at the end of this long tunnel? The broker said that we should hear back from HUD on Wednesday. 

9 REPLIES 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: HUD Approval on FHA Back to Work

hud is not involved other than writing the guidelines.

the file does not go to hud

the file is not approved by hud

i cant believe a loan officer would say that

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

could be that the broker doesnt understand

broker likely getting info from processor who is getting info from their contact at the actual lender..... lost in translation?

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 10
ktl55
Regular Contributor

Thanks Dallas. I am a little lost too. I didn't think that HUD approved loans. The broker is saying that the lender wants to make sure that HUD will accept otherwise lender gets stuck and they don't want that. I think homebridge is a wholesaler and maybe they want to sell our loan to an investor? According to the mortgage letter HUD only gets the loan to clear CAIVRS... Maybe that's what the broker means by HUD accepting it? 

Message 4 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

hud provides caivrs and helps clear erroneous reports in caivrs

hud insures the loan after it closes.

we cant even get people at hud to opine on their guidelines.... so the file isnt going to hud

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i would reply to my loan officer:

"i know hud does NOT get involved in approvals.... Can you please tell me what is REALLY going on?"

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 10
ktl55
Regular Contributor

I told her that on Friday when she initially told me the HUD had to approve the loan. When I questioned her again today is when she told me that the lender wants to make sure HUD will accept it. I just think the lender wants to make sure HUD will issue a waiver before they decide to approve the loan. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gm Dallas, I have another question. Since we had an FHA case number and was denied by another bank could the new bank be trying to get the original denial overwritten thus HUD is involved? I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the loan officer is talking about because all she is telling me is that they are waiting on HUD to approve and we should have an answer tomorrow. 

Message 8 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

overcoming  recorded denial is a process but i dont know if hud is involved in that or not. 

the new lender just needs new information not available during the previous denial to approve is all i know. unless it is clear that the denying lender used an in house overlay or something.

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HUD Approval on FHA Back to Work - UPDATE

So, this is what the realtor explained to me about HUD's involvement in the approval process: 

"Btw gives a list of items you need to prove in order to get the loan. Then you need to prove the traditional loan items that qualify you for a loan. The btw list is the part HUD needs to approve. Not you as a buyer. They need to make sure u meet each line of that list. Now this lender is questioning cause your bankruptcy doesn't say you where going to surrender the home. It said you where to keep it. So lender wants to make sure that even tho bankruptcy says one thing and your lease says another that HUD will approve the btw part of loan. Typically this is done after closing but that's only if all the btw items are exactly how HUD has it written. If it's not then they go to HUD with what they have and see if HUD would allow it." What was not exactly has HD wrote it is that the foreclosure happened 3 yrs after my bk7...even after not paying the mortgage for 4 years by the time it forclosed.

I filed bk7 in 2010 - the house was included in my bankruptcy. It does not say I am going to reaffirm and the house was included in the list of debt discharged. We have been renting since I filed bankrputcy in 2010. Our credit scores - my husband 786/803/792 (the foreclosure does not appear on his credit report) - mine are 703/689/697. We have 28k sitting in our bank account for closng. We have a combined income of $157k without annual bonus. We qualifiy with the exetnuating circumstance because I lost my job in 2009 and did not return to work until november 2011 - more than a 20% decline in income. The lender approved us under the program BUT HUD won't buy the loan after we close. HUD said no because the house did not forclose until 2014 and sell in a sherff deed until 2015, 3 years after I loss my job. We do not have any late payments ever, no collections or credit card debt - before or after the mortgage. We tried to modify the mortgage two times but the bank kept saying they lost our paperwork. To top it all off, in 2013 we were part of the Independent Foreclosure Review and received a settlement because we were stuck in the foreclosure limbo. We were also part of the foreclosuregate because our bank was one of the major banks that put a freeze on forclosing on homes. Our original loan was a conventional loan. The BTW program in my opinion is bogus - they don't try to approve you, they look for reason to deny you. The broker said that she was going to call HUD with the lender on the phone tomorrow because she tried to call but they will not talk to her unless the lender is on the phone. I told her that I was over this...been going through this since February. We were supposed to sign contracts tomorrow - glad we did not. Obviously the lender wants to sell the loan once we close but HD says they won't buy it back. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.