Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Pull On Credit

tag
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

Hard Pull On Credit

So we could be closing next Friday, the 22nd instead of the 27th.  Should get confirmation today or tomorrow.  One of the things they told me was I had to show proof of electric service in my name the day of closing.  So I called the electric company and they set me up.  She told me on the phone they do a soft pull on my credit to see if I needed to pay a deposit.  And I have to say, this was the 1st time in my life I did not have to pay a deposit so I was very excited about that! 

She then transferred me to a company they do business with that can help with making my move easier.  So I said ok.  It was basically for coupons to Home Depot and lowes and that kind of stuff.  One of the things they talked about was Security through ADT.  I told the guy on the phone that I already have a company that I work with and I was not interested.  45 minutes later he was still going on and on.  I finally got very annoyed and told him thank you but this is worse than buying a car and I am not interested.  

Well last night, I get a credit alert that ADT Services made an inquiry on my credit report.  It did nothing to my score and clearly this is NOT for new credit so I'm assuming a simple letter or explanation will explain the inquiry.  But I have never heard of a security company doing a hard pull on credit.  This guy never even told me he was checking my credit.  I remember him saying something to the affect of "ok lets see what kind of offers we can get you".  I did not give him my social or anything.  I am assuming my information was transferred over from the electric company.

Has this ever happened to anyone?  Did it mess anything up with your closing or anything.  I have also left a message with my LO to tell him about it but of course I wanted to ask you guys. 

Starting Score: 553
Current Score: 710
Goal Score: 659

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
EX:659
EQ: 553
TU: 520
Goal: 659
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard Pull On Credit

Shouldnt be a problem.

I would contact ADT and ask them who authorized the credit check? They will have to provide some clarification or remove tge INQ
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 10
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I will contact them today! 

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
Message 3 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yes. It happened to me. When we were moving into our home, an ADT representative came to our door and asked if we wanted their services installed for $99. I was delighted to see him because it saved me time from trying to call them later to set it up. I filled out all the forms and scheduled an installation time. The next day, I got a SW alert stating a new inquiry and it was ADT. I had no idea they would pull my credit but I understand why they did as they were installing $1000 worth of equipment for $99 so they wanted to make sure I would pay. I was approved and the security system was installed.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 10
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

When you say that it makes sense.   This guy was only trying to get his sales representative out there.  And I litterally said thank you but no thank you about a 1000 times but he was relentless.  At the end of the call he wanted a credit card for the 100 bucks BUT don't worry there is no obligation to pay and that's when I lost my patience.  Like I said I remember him saying lets see what kind of offers I can get you and at that point I was only half listening so I don't know if that was when they pulled it.  But I know for sure I NEVER gave him my social so that's why I assumed it was transferred over. 

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
Message 5 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

That's weird that you got a hard pull because you never gave them your social. I actually did give them my social. I wonder how they found out your SS # when you didn't tell them.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 10
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

I think once the electic company transferred me over, all of my information was transferred.  That's what I'm assuming at least. 

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
Message 7 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Ah! That would make sense. It was one of those bundle transfer deals.
Message 8 of 10
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

I guess so.  The girl I origionally spoke with just said it was a company that they have a partnership with that makes moving easier.  They were offering a bunch of stuff, direct tv and all that stuff which I quickly said no too because we get cable for free (husband works for the cable company in the area) the last thing they offered was the ADT.

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
Message 9 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yeah, after doing one of those bundle deals in the past and declining 75% of their services, I stopped calling them and instead, called all the companies that I have an account with to transfer services. That way I won't ever accidentally get charged for one of those deals. I am so sorry this happened to you, Smiley Sad I don't know if they can remove the inquiry or not but you should definitely be able to get your money back.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.