cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone closed under FHA Back to work program?

tag
BeingHopeful

Has anyone closed under FHA Back to work program?

Hello. I had a foreclosure about a year and a half ago. My credit was good prior to. I had lost my job and fell behind. My credit since has been perfect. I don't have more than 2% credit utilization and no other bills. I am wondering if anyone here has closed under this new program and can give some insight. I am naturally nervous. I did the class about 35 days go found and house and am now under contact.
Message 1 of 132
131 REPLIES 131
yepbob
New Contributor

Re: Has anyone closed under FHA Back to work program?

I'm super interested in this - I called a few lenders in my area (Iowa) over a month ago and they told me they couldn't do the loans under this program yet because there were no guidelines from FHA on the program and they couldn't close the loans without them. They all told me to call back later in the year...
Fico Scores as of 1/6/2014 from MyFICO
EX FICO - 649 / EQ FICO - 616 / TU FICO - 649
Lender pull 4/1/2014- EX-664 / TU - 675 / EQ - 626

Kohls - $300 Credit One - $600 WM - $700 Sams - $500
Amazon $600 PayPal MC - $300 NFCU $1000 Cap 1 - $2500
Cap 1 Plat: $2000 Von Maur - no limit set NFCU Nav Check - $10k
Message 2 of 132
pattybear
Established Member

I am interested in this, too.  It's odd that they told you they didn't have guidelines from the FHA.  I was able to find and download the guidelines and requirements from the FHA website in August, when it first came out.   

Message 3 of 132
BeingHopeful

The guidelines have been on FHA's website. I didn't see the part on the class requirement at first, but then took it right away. I had verified it had to be taken 30 days prior to application, so I got it done. I am just looking for anyone who has gone through it so I have an idea what to expect.
Message 4 of 132
magiteck
Established Member

BeingHopeful,

I'm going through this right now.  I did the counselling online/over the phone through Genesis Housing Services out of Arizona. (I'm in Wisconsin).  It's been a bit of a ride.

I talked to a few morgage brokers who either didn't know of the program or didn't have any lenders who were adopting the guidelines.  Finally, I talked to a local mortgage broker who had not yet written a Back to Work loan, but had been trained on it and had a wholesale lender who had provided them with information on it and indicated they had adopted the guidelines.

I put together a LOT of paperwork.  W2s, tax returns, verifications of earnings (salary keys for the work number), severance/layoff notice, recorded deed transfer for my deed-in-lieu from the county, divorce papers, bank statements, ira statements... pretty much anything my broker and I thought could possibly be necessary.

After reviewing everything, my broker issued me a pre-approval letter based on FHA back to work guidelines.

After waiting out the 30-day waiting period on the counselling, I submitted an offer to purchase and we submitted our formal loan app to underwriting.  Underwriters came back less than 24 hours later seeking some additional information, but nothing that we shouldn't be able to produce from all the paperwork we had pre-gathered.

That's where we're at now; waiting for the underwriters second look.  Hopefully I'll have some good news in the next couple days.

The program is so new, it seems everyone is cautious and somewhat uncertain about it.  Call around to a LOT of brokers until you find one that sounds confident about the program, and knows they have a participating lender that they can write with.  Get all of your paperwork ready, anything you think you could possibly need... and make sure to read and re-read the 2013-26 Mortagee Letter to ensure that you meet all of the criteria spelled out.

I'll let you know how my underwriting turns out.  Best of luck to you!

Message 5 of 132
BeingHopeful

I had writted a LOX for the loss of my home from when I had lost my job.  I have found a house and have an accepted offer on it.  I had taken the class 30 days prior, so last week I had signed the application and it was sent off Tuesday.  I know it is currently in review with an expected answer in 48 hours.  Last night, my mortage guy asked me for my divorce papers.  So, far it hasn't been approved, but it hasn't been denied either.

Message 6 of 132
magiteck
Established Member

Sounds like we're at the same point. Fingers crossed for both of us! Did you go through a bank or a broker? If a broker do you know what lender they are using? Just curious.
Message 7 of 132
BeingHopeful

I have a friend who is a broker.  Not sure who the lender is art the moment, but he did say it was one with no over lays.  He feels pretty confident about the whole thing, but I can't help being nervous about it.

Message 8 of 132
VanRickets
Established Member

We would like to have done this, but we do not meet one of the requirements - 20% loss of income for 6 months.

When my husband lost his job, he looked for 2 months then we moved from Florida to Seattle.  The move cost us $30,000 plus the rent for a house was higher than our mortgage.  We had to default on the mortgage loan.  Our income only dropped 10%, but we had additional expenses and the cost of living out here is much higher.

We have no other late payments.  It's been over a year since our short sale.  My FAKO is back up to 729.  I didn't bother pulling new scores since we cannot buy right now.  We are eligible for a conventional loan in 10 months, so we will just have to wait.

FICO 715 FAKO 739
Chase Freedom 14,500
Chase Slate 6,700
US Bank 14,500
Discover 15,000
Message 9 of 132
BeingHopeful

I sent my guy a message this morning trying to find out what is up.  He said it is underwriting and they called him yesterday with questions.  He said he may have an answer today, Monday, or next Friday.  I can honestly say this is not a quick process by any means, but if it all goes through, it will be worth it in the end.

Message 10 of 132
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.