cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone gotten a USDA loan in a flood zone?

tag
dehabel
Established Member

Has anyone gotten a USDA loan in a flood zone?

House in a flood zone, supposed to close next week.  Hit a bump in the road and my loan officer thinks it is ironed out.  Has anyone gotten a USDA loan in a flood zone?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone gotten a USDA loan in a flood zone?

Hey! Glad to see this post. I am currently purchasing a home in flood zone AE. We were told right away that we could not purchase it if it was within the 100 year flood plain. That meant that the lowest floor had to be above the flood plain. After purchasing an elevation certificate, we found we were 1/5 of an inch above it. No other issues occured until two days ago when we had to write a letter saying why we wanted to purchase a home in a flood zone and how there wasn't any other home option but that one. Looks like it did the trick (must be a formality so start writing your letter! lol) and we're still set to close next week. Best of luck!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I forgot to mention - it is USDA. We could purchase it using FHA if it was within the flood plain. Also, we had to (ourselves) go and elevate the a/c unit because it was lower than the foundation and to get it out of the flood plain. Took 10 minutes of work and $10.

Message 3 of 7
dehabel
Established Member

Thank you for your unput. I should have put that my house is new construction , is yours?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not a new construction but when I was searching for information about the flood zone requirements, I saw where someone else had to write the same letter with her new construction. Hopefully that'll be the only other thing you have to do.

Message 5 of 7
dehabel
Established Member

thsnk you
Message 6 of 7
dehabel
Established Member

Can I ask you what you put in your letter.  I just wrote one in case they asked and it does not seem sufficient.  What state are you in?  My USDA office said they don't do them and I am having to get help from those in charge.  I am so scared!  We have worked so long on this and we are just days away.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.