Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used PenFed for a mortgage?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Has anyone used PenFed for a mortgage?

We are in the process of starting applications for a $350,000 refinance on a home appraised in 2014 for $540,000. No cash out. Credit scores from here (EQ and TU) above 800 for both of us. Husband self-employed...I'm a contract worker with 1099s. No w-2 employment. No debt other than the house.

We are shopping for interest rate and lowest closing costs.

Has anyone here used PenFed for a mortgage? I've been a customer of their's for car loans and credit cards and have had good experiences, but a mortgage is a whole different ball game.

We want to apply to 3 banks or mortgage brokers and are trying to decide which 3. Anyone have any suggestions for good banks/brokers?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Has anyone used PenFed for a mortgage?

My buyer used Penfed for their mortgage.  We closed in just under a month.  Not bad with the new TRID rules in place!

My buyer has been happy with Penfed for the mortgage so far.

Message 2 of 5
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Did so about 10 years ago. Pretty easy even using simple fax machines.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BigBS wrote:

Did so about 10 years ago. Pretty easy even using simple fax machines.

Can you pvt me or reply here with tips?

Do they do special loans for first time homeowners?

Everyone tells me not to go with Credit unions because "they are too strict"

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jazzzy wrote:

We are in the process of starting applications for a $350,000 refinance on a home appraised in 2014 for $540,000. No cash out. Credit scores from here (EQ and TU) above 800 for both of us. Husband self-employed...I'm a contract worker with 1099s. No w-2 employment. No debt other than the house.

We are shopping for interest rate and lowest closing costs.

Has anyone here used PenFed for a mortgage? I've been a customer of their's for car loans and credit cards and have had good experiences, but a mortgage is a whole different ball game.

We want to apply to 3 banks or mortgage brokers and are trying to decide which 3. Anyone have any suggestions for good banks/brokers?

Good idea to shop rates for a refinance. As long as your reported income supports the payment, you should have no issue. With your high scores and low LTV (loan-to-value), getting approved for a refinance shouldn't be too difficult, it will be the rate/fees that matters.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.