Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a question about closing meeting..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a question about closing meeting..

We are due to go to the title company and sign the paperwork for our house next week. I was wondering what is all the paperwork we will be signing? Will we have to sign all the same papers we signed to the Morgage Loan Company or are they totally diffrent papers? Im so excited I can't wait. First home for us! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SilverBerries
Contributor

Re: Have a question about closing meeting..

I just closed on Monday so this is pretty fresh in my mind. You'll sign one paper that essentially states that you are who you say you are. (I think Dr. Seuss could have had a field day with that one!) Most of them will be new copies of the disclosures you signed during your loan process. Let's see, here are some of the ones I had to sign: settlement statement, first payment notification, initial escrow account disclosure statement, a bunch of notices and notes dealing with FHA, a security deed, truth-in-lending disclosure statement, itemization of amount financed, a title insurance notice, property owner's affidavit, legal description of the property, miscellaneous documents for the lending company, privacy policy, addendums as needed, lead paint notification, HUD papers, certificate of authorization, three or four papers that states that if any mistakes were made in the signing of the papers no party would hold the others responsible and corrections could be made, Equal Credit  Opp notice, prepayment info., attorney's statement, refinancing notice, termite notice, water notice, real estate tax authorization, appraisal disclosures, mailing address certification, fraud notices, occupancy statement, escrow notices, tax papers, property seller's affidavit, and more papers - like the loan app - from the earlier disclosures.

It sounds like a lot, but it actually was less than I thought. It was an interesting experience, and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. Very laid back. We did a lot of chit-chatting while papers were being signed.

Hope this helps.

SilverBerries

Message 2 of 4
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

You will have so many papers pushed in front of you you will really have no idea what you are signing.  Anybody who claims to come out of a closing and fully inderstanding all the documentation that they just signed is living in a fantasy land.  If you read all the paperwork the closing would take half a day or more.  Go with the flow.
Message 3 of 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I recommend that you take as much time as you need to look over the documents that you are signing.  You might already have some of the papers (e.g. home inspection, pest inspection, environmental hazards, arbitration, etc) that you can read now.  Some of the papers might not be finalized until closing.

Pay particular attention to the papers that discuss your payments, including such factors as interest rate, terms, prepayment penalty, mortgage insurance.  This is the single biggest financial transaction that most people make in their lifetime, so due diligence is warranted.

I remember my closing from a few years ago well.  We brought a babysitter along for my daughter, because we knew we would be there for a long time.  I think everyone thought that it would be boom-boom-boom-sign-and-done, but we refused to be rushed.  The title company, lender, real estate agent, and even the notary were making gobs of money in the transaction.  We figured that they could wait until we were good and done.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.