Regular Contributor
jtc411

Heads up for those buying a 2nd home(reserves)

Just a heads up, that Fannie Mae has changed some of their lending rules I found out today.  I am in the process of securing a mortgage for a new home for my family.  I bought a small condo 3 years ago and then met my wife/had a kid.  Well we outgrew it, and need a new home.  With the new house, I was still around the 45% backend DTI and was informed today that the new rule is the following;

If the current primary residence will become an investment property and at least 30 percent equity in the current primary residence cannot be documented, or the borrower does not have a two-year history of managing investment properties as evidenced by the most current two years filed and signed Federal IRS 1040 tax returns:
·                        Rental income may not be used to offset the mortgage payment and
·                        Both the current and the new mortgage PITI payments must be used to qualify the borrower for the new transaction and
·                        Reserve Requirements are the greater of:
o                                                Six months PITI for both properties, or
o                                                Standard reserve requirements, or
o                                                Reserve requirements as indicated by AUS (i.e., Desktop Underwriter® DU reserve requirements may be greater than published policy)

Basically, you will need 6 months of payments for current and future property in reserves.  In my case, it was an additional 10 grand I needed to show.  Luckily it can be gifted and we were able to get it, but for those on the fence with this....make sure you have a lot of reserves

60% of your 401k can count as reserves as long as you arent depleting them for the down payment

Hope this helps everyone

Starting Score: EQ 619
Current Score: EQ 735, TU 732, EX 745(Lender Pulled)
Goal Score: EQ 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member
sarahlaila

Re: Heads up for those buying a 2nd home(reserves)

Yeah that is what I have been hearing too. We are working on the saving up enough reserves for both mortgages right now. Makes sense when you think about it. I would want to have the several months of payments saved up in case something falls through with a renter.

Contributor
clipperskipper

It's now being referred to as the mortgage triangle, e.g. income, equity, and cash, according to the HARP people.

Regular Contributor
ccubedzx3

I want to make sure I understand this correctly...Is it just principle and interest? or principle, interest, taxes, PMI? this is my current situaiton:

Condo #1-$1070 (principle and interest) $245 (escrow-insurance and PMI) Total: $1315  (current residence, will become our rental)

House #2-$1700 (principle and interest) $ unknown taxes/insurance (currently being built, will become primary residence)

Do I need $1700+$1070  X 6 months....or

$1700 + $1070 + insurance and PMI X 6 months?

Just want to make sure because we started building yesterday...want to make sure how much money they will expect that I have....

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score:5/22/10 590
Current Score: 6/11/13 670
Lender Mid Score: 6/11/13 670

Goal Score: 700

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

[ Edited ]

Total payments x 6 including principal, interest, taxes, insurance and PMI. If you have an HOA/condo fee add that in too...

Regular Contributor
jtc411

ccubedzx3 wrote:

I want to make sure I understand this correctly...Is it just principle and interest? or principle, interest, taxes, PMI? this is my current situaiton:

Condo #1-$1070 (principle and interest) $245 (escrow-insurance and PMI) Total: $1315  (current residence, will become our rental)

House #2-$1700 (principle and interest) $ unknown taxes/insurance (currently being built, will become primary residence)

Do I need $1700+$1070  X 6 months....or

$1700 + $1070 + insurance and PMI X 6 months?

Just want to make sure because we started building yesterday...want to make sure how much money they will expect that I have....

Thanks in advance!

It is inclusive of Payment, Interest, Taxes, Insurance and HOA

Regular Contributor
ccubedzx3

Thanks everyone for the insightful answer.  To be honest I feel bad for anyone trying to buy a home....heck, even myself.  I think a lot of people get a false sense of hope when they hear of the FHA program and how you "only need 3.5% down"......A lot of people will not expect all the other costs that are needed before you can even close.  Closing costs are on average another 3% of the cost of the loan.  Then this whole need for reserves. 

For instance, my wife and I are buying a home for the Federal Loan Limit of $297,500.   With that number, we need to put a little more than $10,000 for a down payment...but that's not it.  We also would need $9000 for closing, and another $21,000 in reserves.  All in all, we need $40,000 of assets which is an additional $30,000 above and beyond the 3.5% or $10,000....That's a lot of additional money that most people probably do not expect.

Starting Score:5/22/10 590
Current Score: 6/11/13 670
Lender Mid Score: 6/11/13 670

Goal Score: 700

Valued Contributor
crunching_numbers

What if you DO HAVE 30% equity in the current home. What type of reserve do you need to show to purchase a second property then? 

What if the second property will not be a rental but a second home? 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: 748 TU(12/12), 783 TU98 , 813 TU08 FICO, 744 EQ FICO , 735 EX(9/12), 794 EX08 FICO, 809 EX08 bankcard FICO
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (20.7K), BofA Travel Rewards ($17.5), B&N World MC ($17.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (15K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig ($8.6K), Disc It ($8K), Citi Dia Pref MC ($3.7K),Sam's D ($8.5K), Wally D ($7.5K), JCP($5.3K)
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

I had to meet this requirement in January. 6 months PITI for my investment property and 2 months of PITI for the new house. Luckily retirement funds DO count.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
jtc411

crunching_numbers wrote:

What if you DO HAVE 30% equity in the current home. What type of reserve do you need to show to purchase a second property then? 

What if the second property will not be a rental but a second home? 

If you have 30% equity you'll need the standard reserves on the new house is my understanding. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}