Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heloc? Clueless

tag
Davis9508
Contributor

Heloc? Clueless

Hey guys! I closed on my house on 11/29. USDA guaranteed loan and I LOVE it. I do not love then baseboard heat. 😂 the house appraised for $28,000 more than I paid for it. How soon can you get a line of credit? How hard is it? Do they do another appraisal etc.. ? As a first time home buyer you can guess I’m clueless...
Thanks for any help you can give.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Heloc? Clueless

Before replacing heat, do some real research.  If there are any nearly identical homes in your area, talk to the home owners and see if any of them replaced their baseboard.

My home is 1940s WW2 ex-military housing and my radiators are from 1940 (boiler is new).  I thought I would hate it but my natural gas bill is surprisingly low.  I walked the neighborhood one warm winter day after buying the place and talked to a bunch of neighbors and everyone who replaced their boiler-radiators with forced air said they HATE it and it costs way more for the same comfort level.

Baseboard may need to be replaced, but do some due diligence first to make sure it's worth it.  I am glad I avoided the $7000 bullet and now absolutely love my radiators.  I put little bowls of water on top of all of them to humidify my house in winter!

Message 2 of 4
Davis9508
Contributor

I have a natural gas space heater built into the wall but the baseboards are electric. I’m a little scared to see what my first electric bill will be. Maybe I am panicking over nothing. I guess time will tell .. my house was built in 1947 😊 I love older houses. They have more character.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhh, yeah that's an odd combo.

I would suggest seeing if you can rent an infrared analyzer this winter.  I did it 2 years ago and again last year and will do it again this year, worth every penny.  I crank the heat up to maximum to get the house as hot as possible, then I turn it off and start analyzing heat patterns and look for leaks.  Every winter I am sealing 10 leaks I didn't know about, and the difference is night and day -- I think I lowered my heating bill by 30% the first year and maybe another 15% last winter.  This winter I already know two spots on a wall that are cooler so I have to figure out a way to insulate them, and the bedroom ceiling in my master suite also appears to have cool spots so into the attic I will go to figure that one out.

I know the previous owners of the house (they lived in it for 2 generations and about 40 years!) and they're stunned by how low my heating bills are and I showed them infrared photos I took of all the leaks they had for probably 40 years.  They were paying MORE than double what I pay, and I keep my home 1 degree warmer than they do.

Either way, do some research for sure.  While a HELOC can be had RIGHT AWAY, you may see significant or even huge savings just by working on heat loss abatement first.  I supplement my boiler with electric heat in two rooms (bathroom space heater and a electric foot heater in my bed) and it only adds maybe $5 a month to my electric bill.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.