cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help (Again)! Any Tips for Getting the IRS to play ball?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help (Again)! Any Tips for Getting the IRS to play ball?

During this process, I called and e-mailed an IRS organization called the "Taxpayer Advocacy Panel."  This is a place where you can voice system-wide problems with the IRS (not individual problems).  More and more people are going to be in the same boat in terms of having the use the most recent tax year's returns, not being due a refund, but needing the transcript to close (thus needing the returns to be processed).  Hopefully, if enough people let the IRS, government officials, etc. know that this is an issue, the powers that be will come up with a solution!

Best of luck to you, and if I can be of any help, let me know.  Spent the night in the new house for the 1st time last night, and it's fantastic!!! 

Message 41 of 77
kai_1103
New Contributor

I remember when your problems started and I'm so glad to see you're happy now!

Congrats!

Message 42 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in a similar boat.  Made an offer on a house last Aug, finally got an acceptance in April, found out right after that my tax transcripts were needed.  I hadn't filed my taxes yet because I owe this year and wanted to wait until the last minute.  This is the fourth house I've bought and I've never had to provide these before.  I completed my taxes and submitted them online and waited.  After 2.5 wks I figured something should have come back to me so I checked with Turbotax, and my return had not only been rejected, I'd never even received an email notifying me.  To top it off Turbotax deletes your file after five days, so I had to redo all my taxes.  I did get it submitted last week, but now I'm worried that because I owe it will take forever to get my transcript!  It's nice to hear that it worked out for the OP, it gives me some hope, but I just wish I'd known about this sooner!  I'm supposed to close 6/1, I've been approved by UW, I'm just waiting on these transcripts!

Message 43 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, Calzonan!  I feel your pain, I promise! Smiley Happy

Message 44 of 77
Robusa

Hello everyone, I have been trying to reach out to the IRS in hopes that someone can help me and my family get our 2012 tax transcript to close on our home. Im under contract to buy my home as of Jan 19th. At the time of our contract we signed the 4506 so our lender could retrieve our transcript before closing. We e-filed our taxes on Jan 30th, and it was accepted on Jan 31st. Im self employed and had to pay $7,225 to the IRS for our taxes, which has already been cashed. We were scheduled to close on our home on Feb 28th, but my lender was not able to pull our transcript because they are still processing. I have contacted the IRS on several occassions trying to check the status. I was told at first to just keep calling back, because they were still processing. And another agent told me that since I was self employed and was not due a refund, that my return would not be complete until sometime in April or May, and that tax payers who are due a refund will process first. Another agent suggested that I contact my tax advocate for help in trying to process my taxes sooner so I can provide my transcript to my lender. Prior to closing on my new home, we leased out our current home and the new renters moved into my home. Since we did not close we ended up moving in with my inlaws because we have no where else to go. We have a large family, myself,wife and 4 kids crammed into my inlaws makes life very tough for us all. My lender has scheduled a new closing date which is this coming Monday March the 11th. We have so much in vested in this move, We stand to lose all of our deposits and earnest money that we have put in to this new home and the only thing keeping us from closing is this transcript. I have gone down to my local IRS, in which they printed out some forms to show to my lenders that I had filed, but they told us that the only thing the under writer would accept is the actual transcript. I dont know what else to do at this point, can someone out there please suggest my best options.
Message 45 of 77
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Sad situation as we have no authority over IRS.

Im speculating that since was a last minute change to tax laws they are still behind.

But I can ask my other half if they know something you can do as they are a CPA. The only thing is I wouldnt be able to find out anything until later this evening as I know they are slammed with work.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 46 of 77
Robusa

Thank you for responding.  Anything will help at this point.  Than.  I did contact the IRS shortly after my last post and they confirmed what another agent had already told me which is because Im self employed and not due a refund, my return would be processed at a later date, and because I already paid there is really no reason to rush and get mine done.  She told me in the future, if I find myself in this situation again, to file my taxes but do not pay them until April 15th.  My lender would not even offer to do the loan with a balance left.  So yea, imagine that.  I contacted my tax advocate today and told her what was going on, she asked me to fax over my closing letter for my home and a hard copy of my taxes.  I called to confirm that she received them, and she told me that she will send my case to be processed in the morning, but said that It would not be complete by Monday.  She said that she could get it done, but it would take 2 to 3 weeks.  Im hoping that's a worst case scenario.  Either way, It does give my family hope that we can still proceed with closing, if the lender will allow the allotted time. 

Message 47 of 77
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Have a little faith. I know its a hard pain in the *** process, but some times we have to believe in people.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 48 of 77
vlaw1084
Contributor

Have Faith my friend, I had to go through the exact seem scenario, and I also used my local tax advocate.  I had written about this before ( I closed last July ), but she came through for us when it came time to getting those transcripts processed.  I will never forget her, she was instrumental in helping our family out.  In retrospect, she did it before the time frame that she originally told me that it would be done. Stick close to your tax advocate and get everyone on board to extend the closing date even if you have to give up some concessions, do whatever it takes for you and your family and YOU will be in that home.  May you continue to be blessed.

J

Message 49 of 77
Robusa

Hello J. Thanks for your comment.  I was hoping to hear from someone who had been through this before.  She told me that it would take about 2 weeks to get this processed.  Do you remember how long you were expected to get yours done, and actually how long did it take for your advocate to come through for you??  This is very encouraging, and looking forward to your reply.

Message 50 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.