cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help (Again)! Any Tips for Getting the IRS to play ball?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help (Again)! Any Tips for Getting the IRS to play ball?

Unfortunately, I agree with Mickie08.  I was told by one IRS agent that if I paid the amount owed (which would be $8k more than what I'd owe if they'd give me the transcript so I could close on the house and get the FTHB credit) that the returns would process within 3 weeks.  I then spoke to another IRS guy who said that if I paid the taxes, it was a crap shoot...the returns would either process faster, or there would be absolutely NO reason for them to process them until dead last, since I wasn't due a refund AND I didn't owe.  No way am I going to give the IRS $8k that I don't owe just so they can hang on to it for 8-10 months like I've been reading about on here.  So there you have it.  My loan commitment letter expires on April 15. I was under contract the 3rd week of January.  Once the loan commitment expires, I'm giving up and going to talk to the sellers about a contract sale with a real estate attorney.  That's the only solution to this mess that I see.  I'll keep the board posted! Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is alot of misunderstanding about the tax advocates.  They can not spped up process, only argue innaccuracies that are being disputed.  Once you, them, and the IRS reach a conclusion your file is still subect to the turn around times of the IRS.   

Message 22 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey has anyone had any additional info on this?

Has anyone (with a balance due 09 tax submission) been able to get a transcript of their 2009 taxes for their broker?

According to my broker and RE agent its possible to close by June 30th (for the credit) but it will be extreeeemely tight. I'm concerned.

Message 23 of 77
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

How long has it actually taken for the IRS w/ refund

I'll be in this same boat next year when I plan to buy a home (SE through my 1020s Corporation), so I want to make sure I set things up properly before then.  I know now that I will want to overpay my taxes on my quarterly 941s, so that I have a refund due when I file the earliest possible on January 2011.  That's easy, I just need to claim 0 exemptions on my W-4 during 2010 & I'll have a refund due when I file my 1020s & 1040 on Jan 2011.

Can someone here tell me how long it has actually taken for the IRS to have the transcripts available if you have had a refund due to you? 

Message 24 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long has it actually taken for the IRS w/ refund

Mark,

I called one of those "get your transcript in 24 hours" companies and they said they have already had a several 2009 transcripts come in.

Which again, goes outside what the IRS says as their "safe" info on the phone: only after April 15 they are obligated to start transcribing refund returns.

Do a search for "IRS transcripts quick", call up one of the numbers and ask them how many 2009 transcripts people have ordered + received one, thats one way to gauge.

Hope that helps.

Message 25 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I called one of those "get your transcript in 24 hours" companies and they said they have already had a several 2009 transcripts come in."

^^^

Clarify: These were likely only refund returns at the earliest file date.

Message 26 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

My tax return still has not been processed.  I filed electronically on Feb. 4 and have been working with a tax advocate for a month now.  From what I understand based on all my research, if you are due a refund, once you receive that refund, you should be able to get a transcript immediately.  The IRS has to process your tax return in order to issue the refund.  I also called those third party processor systems and was told that the IRS typically takes 6-8 weeks to enter information into their systems.  This Thursday (2 days) will be 8 weeks for me.

Message 27 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just thought I'd post an update to say that my tax returns still have not been processed.  Been working with the tax advocate for over a month now and there was supposedly a request to expedite the processing of my returns faxed to someone more than 2 weeks ago.  Still nothing.  Today, IRS rep told me that they should be processed very quickly once April 15 gets here.  I completely agree with Mickie that the tax advocates really can't do anything in this situation other than blow sunshine up your skirt and give you one more person to call.  Not helpful.

Message 28 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

kito, thanks for the update.

I am still in the same boat there as well.

I now have an advocate, she put in a request which will "be complete" by April 30, basically same info. i'm not holding my breath-- I asked her if she had ever had a successful request for a early transcript and she said she had only put in one request recently (no successes). So, no. I asked several new mortgage brokers if they would accept the paper printout she can mail as a transcript and they all said income needed to be verified only with a 4605T typical process.

I called the IRS (maybe call number 15?) and asked for a senior rep. He was actually pretty knowledgeable and said my return was coded with "resequence code no. 40" which corresponds to May 15th. He did say transcribing is a very simple process and actually any case worker can transcribe if they have the training to do so (however I think the term case worker here is who gets the appeal for your early transcript). Supposedly most balance due return's have this same starting week #40 date.

You might want to find the resequence code of your return, if a difference of starting date of April 15 vs sometime in May would be crucial. Not that knowing will speed it up any.

Even if I am officially approved by June 1 earliest, I do wonder if everything can be complete by June 30th. That leaves 0 room for error and thats not realistic.

I am at the point where I am considering not buying at all if closing by June 30 will be that crunched. The reason I wanted to buy was mainly the credit, without it, the factors to buy are just the interest rates and price. I hate to even put a contract in place (which I need to do, like now) knowing that I would exit it if the loan didn't go through by then. I feel like I will be waisting everyone's time knowing full well the chances are slim. I don't really need to buy that bad.

Not sure what else to say... this went from being a quick bang done "easiest home purchase I could imagine", to being extremely painful, very quickly.

Pretty big contrast and I wonder if its now really worth it.

Message 29 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, NM:

Yes, I have a resequence code, but it was only supposed to delay the processing by 2 weeks.  The tax advocate said the case worker was supposed to have everything done by April 5, but as of today, it still isn't done (I've already made my daily calls to both the IRS 1040 line and the advocate).  I was also told by a couple of representatives that balance due returns don't start processing until the 20th week of every year, but then I've heard as many different stories as I've made phone calls. Smiley Happy  It's now to the point that when I called the 1040 line today, I got a representative I had already spoken to earlier this year!  So now I'm cycling through their reps again! hahaha!

I don't know about your situation, but this transcript has been the only thing holding up my closing.  I would say that once you have the transcript, everything else should be able to be taken care of very quickly.  Even underwriting was not as painful as this.  I was able to provide them with every document they needed within a matter of an hour or two per request.  But if I had to do it all again, I would wait until I knew the transcript was available before putting in an offer.  In this way, you'll know if the June 30 deadline is viable or not.  Problem is, if your returns aren't processed by April 30 and you aren't under contract by then, the credit won't be available.  That credit was one of the main reasons I wanted to buy now, as well, but far from the only one.  I think the market right now is prime for buying, plus I need more space.  And I've rented all of my life, so I'm tired of it.  I was talking with a person in a similar situation, and he paid his balance due.  His returns were processed 3 weeks later, and his transcript was available the following Monday.  But that's only 1 instance.  Additionally, I don't have an extra $8k lying around that I can tie up with the IRS for the next several months.

So, right now, my plan is to give this until April 15.  If my returns are not processed by then, I'm going to approach the owners about buying their home on contract.  I'll do it for 1 year, then I should be able to have enough money saved that I can go the conventional loan route and none of this will be an issue.  We'll see!  Good luck to you!

Message 30 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.