cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help? Can i qualify for another mortgage loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help? Can i qualify for another mortgage loan?

Hi, my company is moving me out of state. I can't sell my FHA mortgaged home without taking a loss right now. I'm thinking of leasing it out. I want to buy a home in my new state but I think you can only have one FHA loan. Can I get a conventional loan on a new home there? My scores are all above 700. I'll have a lease contract on my current home. I don't have much downpayment without pulling from 401K. Are there close to 100% conventional loans? Can I get one? THANK YOU! I don't want to be a renter again!!!Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help? Can i qualify for another mortgage loan?

I think 100% conventionals are really hard to find these days. The other issue might be DTI. You have to qualify for a new mortgage with the debt of your existing mortgage. I know this can balance out if you can prove steady rental income but i don't know the details on how many months of payments you'd need to show from your renters.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the upside, if you have to rent for a few months while your house sells you can get to know the area so you'll know where you want to live..
Message 3 of 7
ArmyWifeMBA
Valued Member

I spoke with our lender (National City Mortgage) about this on yesterday.  Our first home was financed as a VA loan.  The lender stated we must have verifiable income (ex. copy of tax return) for two (2) years to show payment received. 

We are also going for the $8000 tax refund.  In order to qualify for the $8000 tax refund, you must not have resided in the home for three (3) years; thus, the home is no longer our principle (moving alot as military family), but our rental.  We have been renting out for 6 years now.  I am going for a FHA with my next home purchase. 

Good luck!

Army Wife, MBA

Message Edited by ArmyWifeMBA on 07-03-2009 02:34 PM
Message 4 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Since you are being relocated by your employer out of state you should be eligible to purchase a new home with FHA financing.   Here are the FHA guidelines regarding when it's OK to have 2 times financed by FHA: 

With FHA, an applicant can have only one principal residence at any time whether rented or owned and regardless of the type of financing. An applicant, who owns and intends to keep a principal residence with a HUD-insured mortgage, may not purchase another principal residence with HUD mortgage insurance unless one of the following circumstances applies:

1. The applicant is relocating (and re-establishing residency) to another area not within reasonable commuting distance of the current principal residence. The principal balances on the existing FHA will not need to be reduced.

2. The applicant’s number of dependents has increased to the point where the present house no longer meets the family’s needs. In such cases, the following conditions apply:
a. The applicant must provide satisfactory evidence of the increase in dependents and how the property no longer meets the family’s need. (Keep in mind; the applicants must be able to prove the house can no longer physically accommodate the family. Each child wanting their own bedroom, or simply wanting a house with a family room does not prove “need”); AND
b. The applicant must also pay down the outstanding mortgage balance on the present property to a 75% LTV or less (excluding and financed MIP). A current residential appraisal must be used to determine loan-to-value. Tax assessments, market analyses by real estate broker, etc. will not be acceptable

3. The applicant is vacating a residence that will remain occupied by a co-mortgagor, the individual vacating the property is permitted to obtain another FHA-insured mortgage. This does not permit two married individuals to own two primary residences but may be used in such circumstances as those following a divorce where the vacating ex-spouse will be purchasing a new home or where one of the comortgagors will vacate the existing property and is getting married

4. An applicant that will be a non-occupying co-borrower on property being purchased with a FHA-insured loan as a principal residence by other family members may have a joint interest in that property as will as his or her own principal residence that is covered by a FHA-insured mortgage. 

In all other cases, the purchasing applicant must either pay off the HUD-insured mortgage on the previous residence or terminate ownership of the property. 

Now if you need rental/lease income from your current home to qualify, that is another area which it helps to be familiar with the guidelines on.  Those guidelines, with FHA, are:

If the current principal residence is being retained as an Investment property:

• Both the current and the proposed mortgage payments must be used to qualify the borrower for the new transaction

• Rental income on the property being vacated, reduced by the appropriate vacancy factor as determined by the jurisdictional FHA Homeownership Center (see http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/ref/sfh2-21u.cfm) may be considered in the underwriting analysis under either of the following circumstances:

o Relocations: When the homebuyer is relocating with a new employer, or being transferred by the current employer to an area not within reasonable and locally recognized commuting distance. Required documentation:
- A lease, executed by all parties, of at least one year's duration after the loan has closed; AND
- Evidence of the security deposit or first month's rent was paid to borrower

o Sufficient Equity in Vacated Property: The homebuyer has a loan-to-value ratio of 75 percent or less, as determined by either:
- A current (no more than six months old) residential appraisal
OR
- Calculating the LTV by taking the current unpaid principal balance of the existing lien to the original sales price of the property. A copy of the purchase HUD-1 is required. 
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow...thank you! Great information.I have owned my current home over 4 years however with the market and the foreclosures in the area, a realtor has advised that I would take a loss to sell right now. Hence I really have no choice. I will be leasing my home out and using a property management company so i do feel better about that.

I will be six hours away in a new state so I would assume that would be sufficient distance that it would qualify me. I've never had a conventional loan and don't really know the criteria. I don't know why but I've always had an FHA loan but this will be the first time that I will try to own two residences at once. I have a small downpayment for my new residence and I'm hopeful with decent scores over 700 (although i know those aren't considered stellar any longer) that it hopefully won't be an issue.

My only concern is LTV. It looks like I might need to get a current appraisal since the county assessor is the only thing I would have to go on right now and that of course would be low. I wonder if I should obtain an appraisal before I move or wait until I am in the qualification stages of a new mortgage (although i'll have a renter at that time in my current home). thoughts??

Thank you so much!!!!

Message 6 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome.  Sorry for the extended absence.  It'd be appropriate for you to wait and get the appraisal as part of the new mortgage loan you'd be qualifying for.  However it'd also be smart to get some data now from your local real estate agent on what your home would appraise for, as when you speak to the loan officer about buying your new home you'll have some preliminary data to go off of.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.