cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Confused FHA vs Convention loan terms and rate. Which way to go?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Confused FHA vs Convention loan terms and rate. Which way to go?!

So I finally submitted my paperwork, had credit pull and i'm surprised at the loan terms presented. I was initially gangho about going with 97 conventional vs FHA. Just got the prelim loan estimates from my LO and im surprised at the numbers!

FHA 30 year fixed - Loan amount $422,211.63 (including, PMI) 

Interest 3.875%, APR 4.861%, 3.5% down. Funds needed to close $27,090.66, with an UFMIP of $ 7, 261.63 Total Estimated monthly payments-$2,646.92

97 Conventional- 30 year fixed- Loan amount- $417,000

Interest 4.250%, APR 5.123%, 3% down, Funds needed to close $25,089.15, NO UFMIP. Total Estimated monthly payments-$2,862.72

The monthly PMI for FHA is $291.52 whiles 97 conventional is $441.33

The monthly difference for total mortgage is $215.8

I am confused which route to go! 

The 97 conventional that high PMI will drop off at <80 LTV but i'll have to carry the PMI on the life if I go FHA. 

As it stands now this is a home i'll be in >10years  so FHA means $77,688 PMI over life of loan. Whereas 97 con will be $58,255. Assuming i only pay the monthly Principla and get to LTV<80 at 11 years. 

What do y'all think. 

These numbers wer with a midscore of 711. So if I can get my midscore up which it should be by close in 6 months greater than 740 i assume the terms will be better on the conventional side.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Confused FHA vs Convention loan terms and rate. Which way to go?!

The 97% conventional is very expensive due to its risk. I would try to raise your credit score, save 5% down, and go conventional if at all possible.

Message 2 of 14
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...dpeezy has the best answer of course

...but if thats not a viable option for you, there is always going fha with the plan to refinance conventional when LTV <80% and your credit is better, getting rid of the pmi 

...that has rate risks of course ...I'm old enought to remember Carter and 17% mortgages Smiley Sad

...one thing I'm not sure of is whether conventional pmi release is based on the original home value or changes as the home's value increases/decreases ...if it changes with an increasing home value, then conventional looks even better assuming the long term trend in home value continues to rise ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dpeezy thank you the response!

I can save for conventional if I get the builder to give me more towards closing costs and live on a really tight budget for a while, but will that make a significant difference. I will also have no reserves to show! But that's assuming that I need to. As it stands now  the approval did not say whether i need them or not. Just the amount and the two estimates I asked for but As it stands now the FHA is not an option as the LO had previously stated because she did not account for the local limit whivh i 379,500 or something like that. So my options are to but a little less house and go FHA, work to get the mid credit score >740, which to be honest i'm also scared of because I am selling my car and will be dropping 1 of 2 loans on my credit report. People say that the cs drops when you loose a monthly payment tradeline but i'm hoping I can gain those numbers back by paying down my credit card debt.

I'm really torn now.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lemmus I dunno the answer to that. I am a little skittish now because I dunno whether to go full steam ahead or wait. Depending on what my required reserves are i might be able to go conventional 5% down. I just emailed her to see what i will be required to show apartment from funds to close to actually close. She offered to enroll me in DHI home owners clud to help bring up my numbers.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lemmus wrote:

...dpeezy has the best answer of course

...but if thats not a viable option for you, there is always going fha with the plan to refinance conventional when LTV <80% and your credit is better, getting rid of the pmi 

...that has rate risks of course ...I'm old enought to remember Carter and 17% mortgages Smiley Sad

...one thing I'm not sure of is whether conventional pmi release is based on the original home value or changes as the home's value increases/decreases ...if it changes with an increasing home value, then conventional looks even better assuming the long term trend in home value continues to rise ...hth

For the sake of PMI, equity is based on the original value, not current market value. When requesting PMI removal at 80%, some lenders require an appraisal to ensure your home value hasn't decreased. Technically, the only time PMI must be removed is when the loan is scheduled to reach 78% LTV based on the original amortization schedule, regardless of extra principal payments.

The only way to guarantee PMI removal at 80% LTV or with early principal payments is to refinance.

Edit: With that being said, often lenders are willing to work with you once you reach 80%.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous thank you the response!

I can save for conventional if I get the builder to give me more towards closing costs and live on a really tight budget for a while, but will that make a significant difference. I will also have no reserves to show! But that's assuming that I need to. As it stands now  the approval did not say whether i need them or not. Just the amount and the two estimates I asked for but As it stands now the FHA is not an option as the LO had previously stated because she did not account for the local limit whivh i 379,500 or something like that. So my options are to but a little less house and go FHA, work to get the mid credit score >740, which to be honest i'm also scared of because I am selling my car and will be dropping 1 of 2 loans on my credit report. People say that the cs drops when you loose a monthly payment tradeline but i'm hoping I can gain those numbers back by paying down my credit card debt.

I'm really torn now.

No problem. If you have any other installment loans/debt, losing the car wont hurt you much. If your CC utilization percentage is above 30% or so, paying that down should have a much bigger impact than losing the car loan.

Message 7 of 14
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...you know what the options are now ...if it were me, I'd think real hard before putting myself in a financial straight-jacket ...too many things can and do go wrong ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Message 8 of 14
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For the sake of PMI, equity is based on the original value, not current market value. When requesting PMI removal at 80%, some lenders require an appraisal to ensure your home value hasn't decreased. Technically, the only time PMI must be removed is when the loan is scheduled to reach 78% LTV based on the original amortization schedule, regardless of extra principal payments.

The only way to guarantee PMI removal at 80% LTV or with early principal payments is to refinance.

Edit: With that being said, often lenders are willing to work with you once you reach 80%.

...thank you dpeezy ...exactly what I was looking for Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lemmus wrote:

...you know what the options are now ...if it were me, I'd think real hard before putting myself in a financial straight-jacket ...too many things can and do go wrong ...hth

Yikes that is scary! i'm thinking about it really hard trying to weigh my options. But I dunno if i have that many at this point. I mean the differnce of $215.8 won't kill me if it means I get into my dream home quicker. I'll be getting a productivity bonus of at least 10% after my first year in this new position so that'll help defer some of the cost. In the meantime I have picked up some weekend hours to help see if I can go 5% conventional by closing time.  Who needs 6 months worth of saturdays Smiley Wink to get to a life a life goal. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.