Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Dispute comments & mortgage

tag
GA8080
Contributor

Help! Dispute comments & mortgage

I'm so frustrated! Just got off the phone with a mortgage broker whom we filled out a prequal app last night. I've been killing myself trying to repair my credit and my scores are finally where they need to be. I have a Navient account with several late payments, as a result of a goodwill letter or something it is marked as disputed. The mortgage broker told me that if I ask to have the disputed comments removed my score will tank because when it's disputed the negative information is masked from my score. Is this true?!?
I think he is wrong and the reason he has seen scores tank is because they may have been old trade lines not reporting monthly that appear new because remove the comment updates them. Example: collection hasn't updated since 2014, dispute removed, now updated in 2016, collection appears newer. Someone please tell me I'm right and he is wrong?!?
If I am right, and the disputed trade line is sill updating each month, would removing the comment have no effect on my score?
Lastly, what is the best way to go about removing comments? Call CRAs?
I'm getting so frustrated and discouraged. I have learned so much from these boards and I've come so far. It's one hurdle after another trying to get a new house!
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Help! Dispute comments & mortgage

Please read this excellent post by Shanethemortgageman about removing disputes from your file

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/FHA-changing-collection-account-judgments-amp-dispute...

Yes, disputes must be removed. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same exact situation. 2 lates from navient as recent as Dec 2014. Old disputes comments from a goodwill that was denied and marked as a dispute. Dispute has been closed for a long time. Comments were removed from all three agencies with in 72 hours. No scores were affected. You are okay.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

See if they will run it through LP instead of DU.  LP is slightly more forgiving on disputes.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.