cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! How best to shop for mortgages / pre-approval? FHA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! How best to shop for mortgages / pre-approval? FHA?

Hello,

My wife and I are in the market for a house and are currently looking at specific houses.  We've got a 10% down payment, enough for closing fees, over 800 credit scores and we're looking in the $500k-$600k range (which is mid-starter-level for our area near NYC).

I've read (4) books on mortgages and visited about 100 websites, and I've yet to find a consistent recommendation on how best to shop for mortgages or achieve a pre-approval.  Some sources tell us to get a GFE and others say GFEs are worthless because they can change. 

Some sources have advised us to use brokers because "brokers can shop around" and disclose their commissions, whereas other sources have suggested "why bother with a broker" when you've got good credit and can approach lenders directly.   

Some sources say "focus on the APR," whereas others say, "focus on the whole loan package, not the APR."

Also, for all of the websites talking about the benefits of FHA loans, why wouldn't someone pursue an FHA?  I can see how you'd pay more in the long run, but the mortgage maximums in our area are $625,500 for an FHA loan, and putting $15k down instead of $50k is pretty attractive.  Just higher interest rates?

The book by Carolyn Warren suggests approaching a mortgage lender and two brokers, requesting GFEs and then a guarantee from the broker or lender that the final costs won't deviate more than 10%.  Then go ahead with pre-approval.  But I'm still wondering if we'd want to lock the rate in the current environment...

That seems to suggest that you're going through two rounds of mortgage shopping - once for the pre-approval, which may be meaningless if the rates aren't locked, and once again for the actual mortgage. 

Any suggested steps (1,2,3), feedback, or thoughts are appreciated!

THANKS!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! How best to shop for mortgages / pre-approval? FHA?

Here's a GFE we received yesterday from a  LO at a mjor mortgage company that was referred to us by a friend. 

Purchase Price  $550,000 
Loan Amount  $495,000             
Appraisal Fee $0 
Credit Report Fee $0 
Your Attorney Fee ? 
Bank attorney fee $700 
Universal Closing Costs        
New York State Mortgage Tax $3,960 
Title Insurance (ask your attorney, as they order this for you) $3,000 
Escrows        
Taxes (Assume 6 months)  TBD 
Home Owners Insurance ( 1 yr premium + 2 months to the bank) $1,200 

Loan Amount  
Type Fixed  
Term 30 years 
Rate 5.250%
Points 0.0
Monthly Payment $3,092.00
Monthly Insurance $100.00

TOTAL $3,192.00

Mortgage Insurance:

Borrower paid: 5.25% 30 years for $3092

Lender Paid: 6.125% for $3007

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.