cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, How will an auto loan affect a mortgage application?

tag
samwise7
New Contributor

Help, How will an auto loan affect a mortgage application?

Hello,  I need a bit of help with this.

The DW and I are planning to apply for a mortgage in the Fall of 2009.  But we need a car now.  If I finance a car now will this have any adverse effect on the mortgage application later?

07/13/09 TU 627 - EQ 631 - EX 642
08/08/08 TU 514 - EQ 548 - EX 561
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help, How will an auto loan affect a mortgage application?

The only affect this will have is it will affect your DTI....in other words the $300 car payment is deducted from the max mortgage payment you can afford.

A new car loan only hurts a little until a payment or two is posted...then the lost points regain. 

Message 2 of 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Help, How will an auto loan affect a mortgage application?

@Anonymous wrote:

The only affect this will have is it will affect your DTI....in other words the $300 car payment is deducted from the max mortgage payment you can afford.

A new car loan only hurts a little until a payment or two is posted...then the lost points regain. 

Agree it will pretty much still boil down to can you qualify with your debt to income

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.