Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Is there any option?

tag
ccsauer
Contributor

Help! Is there any option?

Ok, before I start, I realize that I am in a wonderful position and should not be whining. That being said, I do need help with this situation to see if thee are any solutions at all:

I am 32, married, 2 kids (potentially a third on the way soon, we're figuiring that out) We live in a pretty nice area in the suburbs of Chicago in our first home, purchased in 2007, but I would very much like to move back to my hometown. Mostly because the schools are 10/10, there is a huge, diverse, educated population, it's one of the safest cities of its size in the country, and both sets of grandparents live there.

However, it's expensive, and up until almost exaclty a year ago, my Engineering career had stalled. I was unemployed for 27 out of 32 months. In 2010, right as we were getting a solid bank account of emergencies, we had our worst non-health-related emergency. May 20th of last year that all changed, and now that we're back to 2 incomes, we're doing well. We're out of debt, but have no safety cusion in the bank, yet. My job is solid, and the new experience I have now puts me in a great position for the rest of my career.

So, here are my stats: Assume $0 in the bank, 5 years left on a .9% car loan ($393 payment) 4 years left on a 2.9% car loan ($363 payment), 23 years left on the 80% mortgage and 15% mortgage we took out in 2007, at 5.25% and 8% respectively.

My house is worth very close to what we currently owe on it, 15-20% down from the original price. Sucks...

A mortgage on a more expensive house would be affordable on our current salary. In fact, due to differences in APR right now, and our property taxes, and potential to be rid of that 15% subordinated loan, we can easily afford a new mortgage for a house we're targeting.

As you can see, though, the problem is cash on hand. If we wait 4 years to accumulate 20%, we'll miss out on the reduced prices in my hometown, the reduced rates for a mortgage, etc, but if we try in 6 months with 5% down, we're looking at another crappy subordinated loan and PMI for the life of the loan.

One option is...my inlaws are very well off. I was considering putting all of this information together and asking for a loan from them, but wanted to see if there were other options.

THOUGHTS? Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Help! Is there any option?

credit scores?

pmi is for life of loan on fha.... not conventional

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 6
ccsauer
Contributor

OH! haha, i can't believe I gave all that info and not my scores: Checked a few weeks ago, mine was 826 equifax, Hers Was 849!!! Experian, both from this site.

Awesome that PMI is only FHA...I did not know that.

Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@ccsauer wrote:

OH! haha, i can't believe I gave all that info and not my scores: Checked a few weeks ago, mine was 826 equifax, Hers Was 849!!! Experian, both from this site.

Awesome that PMI is only FHA...I did not know that.

No, that's not what Dallas posted. Dallas is saying the the PMI for FHA is life of the loan.  For conventional you still have PMI when you put down less than 20% but it is automatically removed when the LTV gets to 78%.

BTW, there are programs for conventional loans where you can have no PMI if you put down 10%. (Freddie Mac only) 

Also, you can split the PMI to be paid partially up front and the rest monthly. You can also pay it all up front...yes, this is for conventional.

Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

^^^^

what he said

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I would finance with FHA/PMI now and refinance it later to remove the PMI before I would ask inlaws for any loan. Just my 2cents...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.