cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help- Need 7 points on Experian- Is scorewatch simulator accurate enough?

tag
mmrgr
Established Member

Help- Need 7 points on Experian- Is scorewatch simulator accurate enough?

Hello everyone.  I need just 7 more points on Experian or 19 on Equifax, for our pre-qual for mortgage. (need 640- mid score)  We have a collection from 5 years ago (still within SOL where we live)  MyFico score watch says paying off the collection, which we can afford, will give us a score bump of enough on equifax.  This debt is with the original creditor, a small local bank, and won’t consider pfd.  We’ve tried.  But they will update to paid with zero balance immediately.  My mortgage banker says don’t touch it , we will lose 25 points if we pay it off according to “CreditXpert” simulator.  What do you guys think? Will it go up or down- we are confused and don’t want to lose the house we’re trying to get.  Should we trust scorewatch simulator or advise from the mortgage banker?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Help- Need 7 points on Experian- Is scorewatch simulator accurate enough?

Your broker is right, do not touch it. infact even with a PFD on a 5 year old collection may not even give you the 7 points you need.

What else is on your report.

What does your credit card util look like.

When was your most recent late, how many CCs do you have.

When my score was at your level, it moved up quickly monthly and then stalled in the upper 600s.

Message 2 of 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Help- Need 7 points on Experian- Is scorewatch simulator accurate enough?

Paying the collection and updating to paid will do NOTHING to your score.  Won't help, won't hurt.  Though definitely looks better as it shows you pay your debts.

You will have to look for the points elsewhere.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.