Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!! Need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help!!! Need advice

First I'd like to say I'm very grateful for all the advice I've been given from this forum. I'm not needing some very crucial advice, I'm about to get out of the army at the end of this year. I don't want to rent a house.. I would like to buy. My question, will I be able to get a loan? When is the best time to apply. I'm 27 years old, oldest account is only 2.5 years old. Credit cards are as follows. Chase 11k limit, citi 8,800, USAA 15k, AMEX 16k, Discover 6k, Barclaycard 5k utilization is less than 1%. Current income is only like 40k (sucks I know, but I live on post so no bills) have 2 cars in only my name. One has 5k (will be payed off december) and other 14k. Credit score off barclaycard is 814  and credit karma says similar. No missed payments, no baddies. I'm just worried leaving the army will not let me get a loan. My wife has horrible credit,Moshe will not be factored into any of it. Do I stand a chance? Also blame my wife for no credit history. She "helped me" by closing my cards I didn't use after we got married. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help!!! Need advice

Yes. Your revolving credit looks good, installments in the mix also. Take a look at renting off base to show you can handle it.

You're prolly not gonna get much over 100k, but that's ok, it's a start, you're young.

Once in,work on her scores , while you build equity in the house. When you have her side cleaned up , and some equity , you'll have options.

Don't forget you have VA options.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm stationed in germany so it wouldn't effect my credit and I'm required to live on base anyways. Her scores are 6something. Couple collections, couple other bad stuff, all before we were married. Had 3 years renting stateside before came to germany though. I have 3 closed vehicle accounts also. Plus unsecured loan that was payed off. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then I say you're in pretty good shape.  I think its just a question of how much.

I still say secure a home when you get back to the States.  It might not be exactly what you want, but we're playing long game here.  Build equity and get her scores into the 7s, and a couple of years you're ready to upgrade to something more to your liking?

The only caveat I see is what you plan to do for work once out of the Army.  They're gonna ask you about that.  A few months on a new job may not fly with some lenders.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.