Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Past Mortgage Account Haunting Me

tag
TrynaGetRight
Valued Member

Help Past Mortgage Account Haunting Me

In 2011 my husband and I purchased a home in Washington state. In 2015 we relocated due to military transfer and weren't able to sell the home or find a renter, long story short we paid late multiple times and finally was able to sell the home in Aug 2016. Well we were told we could apply for a new mortgage after Sept 2017 when we would have a full year of no late payments.  Now that we are here our loan officer says he can't get an automated approval due to a mortgage late within the last 12 months, does anybody have any idea why this mortgage is still showing up as late if it has been paid in full and how long it will haunt us? Just to give more info out mortgage scores are 632, 635, and 652 and 641, 648, 665. We are also applying for a VA loan. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Help Past Mortgage Account Haunting Me

@TrynaGetRight wrote:

In 2011 my husband and I purchased a home in Washington state. In 2015 we relocated due to military transfer and weren't able to sell the home or find a renter, long story short we paid late multiple times and finally was able to sell the home in Aug 2016. Well we were told we could apply for a new mortgage after Sept 2017 when we would have a full year of no late payments.  Now that we are here our loan officer says he can't get an automated approval due to a mortgage late within the last 12 months, does anybody have any idea why this mortgage is still showing up as late if it has been paid in full and how long it will haunt us? Just to give more info out mortgage scores are 632, 635, and 652 and 641, 648, 665. We are also applying for a VA loan. 

When was your closing date for the sale of your last home?  You said Aug 2016 - but I don't know if that is when it was closed or when you went under contract.

How does your credit report show this tradeline?  What date does it show paid in full? If you don't have a copy of your credit report, get one from www.annualcreditreport.com so you have all the information as it shows on your actual report. 

Are you going to a bank for your mortgage or are you going to a non-bank mortgage company?  I will pm you two lenders that are truly excellent and neither of these lenders have overlays. FYI, an overlay can be added to the guidelines by the lender issuing the loan. Overlay's make the loan guidelines more restrictive rather than less restrictive.  Having said that, most lenders do want to see 12 months with no lates. But it sounds like it has already been 12 months for you so the issue would be what is the correct date (shown on your signed ALTA) and what is actually being reported to your CR.

Message 2 of 6
TrynaGetRight
Valued Member

I'm not sure how to pm startingover but I was under contract in jul and closed in aug. I will post a picture of my credit report

Message 3 of 6
TrynaGetRight
Valued Member

I can’t figure out how to add the photo but it says last active 08/16 paid va real estate mortgage closed 8/16 account paid fixed rate
Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@TrynaGetRight wrote:
I can’t figure out how to add the photo but it says last active 08/16 paid va real estate mortgage closed 8/16 account paid fixed rate

Are you making application with a bank or with a non-bank type lender for your new mortgage?  What is the last mortgage late showing on your credit report. The lender will be looking at the last 12 months that show on your current CR. 

Message 5 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@TrynaGetRight wrote:

Hi TrynaGetRight,

Generally one 30 day late in the last 12 months isn't enough to cause a file to be "referred" through an AUS for a manual underwrite. You don't necessarily even need an AUS approval but it does make it easier to get through underwriting.

You should really think about getting a 2nd opinion.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.