cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help closing cost seem too high!!!!!!

tag
dak17
New Contributor

Re: Help closing cost seem too high!!!!!!

I am scheduled to close on a 150k house and my closing costs are $10,888!!! It seems 'off' because from what I've read the closing cost averageanywhere from 2-3% of the price of the home. Am I missing something here?

Message 11 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@dtimberlake12 wrote:

I am scheduled to close on a 150k house and my closing costs are $10,888!!! It seems 'off' because from what I've read the closing cost averageanywhere from 2-3% of the price of the home. Am I missing something here?

I don't know where you are getting 2-3% "average" for closing costs, but that is really low.

It is different everywhere because the costs due at closing include the following:

1) Lender Fees including origination fees, credit report fees, appraisal and flood cert fees (varies by lender)

2) Title fees - varies by title co and what your contract specifically states,

3) Taxes and government fees - (varies by geographic location)

4) Pre-paid expenses (insurance and pre-paid interest

5) Set up for your escrow account (at this time of year, this can be for the full amount of taxes due for the year depending upon your geographic location)

6) Other fees not included above

This is why the lender provides you the very detailed Loan Estimate up front.

If you have high taxes or high homeowners insurance costs, then the amount you bring to closing will be substantially higher this time of year because the full tax bill for the calendar year is due in November (not everywhere, but in many places). If you close in July or Aug or Sept or Oct the lender has to have your full escrow paid at closing to pay the bill when due as you have few to no payments between your closing date and the due date. Fortunately the seller contributes their portion in the form of a credit right at closing which reduces the cash you have to bring to the table by the amount of the sellers credit. Sometimes this credit is shown on your LE and sometimes it isn't. 

If you pay cash for your purchase you don't have most of the fees - lender fees go away, title fees are much less, no escrows because you pay it yourself when due, - government fees are the same except you don't pay recording fees for the mortgage because there is no mortgage. But most of us don't have the ability to pay cash for our homes. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 15
dak17
New Contributor

I meant to type 3-5% of the total price of the home. Thanks for that information!

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

13 months of taxes being impounded is a lot. Typically the most we'd ever collect at closing is 9 months, but maybe the seller will be crediting you a portion back as DLG said. That's not how we set up our Loan Estimate, but maybe your lender/area is different.

Message 14 of 15
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Startingover10 you are correct. We will take the 1700 credit the seller is giving us towards the closing cost. My wood flooring guy says he can fix it for about 500. My wife and I went down to the lender and he said he made some mistakes and the closing costs came down to 9,200 minus the 1700 sellers repair credit is 7,500. The lender says and I checked with the title company and here in Oregon Nov. 15 is a due date for property taxes and July is the 1st of the new year, and this lender wants some cushion like 2 months of cushion so Sept Oct. (2 months) then November to July (9 months) so maybe at closing the 7500 will be down to 6858 (371 property tax x 2 months= 742) . Btw my wife's middle Fico is 708 so we are getting a rate of 3.75 which I think we are getting screwed big time. My middle is 733.

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.