Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please!

tag
jbee
Regular Contributor

Help please!

Ok, I was planning on applying for mortgage today, so I pulled my cr and find out that I didn't beat the cutoff for my cc statement.  The statement normally posts on the 1st of the month, but for some reason, it hit on May 31st.  I think I'm screwed.Smiley Mad

One of my credit card is almost maxed out on my cr (it should be $400 less).  Do you think this is a deal breaker to being pre-approved?  I have 4 cc, and this is the only one with a high balance.  Also, I checked my scores and Eq-688, TU- 704, Ex-???

Should I wait until it post for next month to apply or do I have a chance even with the high balance?

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

3/1/10: TU: 615, EQ: 640, EX: ???
6/8/10 (LO pulled): TU: 704, EQ: 689, EX: 694
Goal Score by Oct. 1: TU: 750, EQ: 750, EX: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help please!

You need to get all balances down to 9% of CL, but missing the payment by a day you should be ok. They won't post it late unless it's 30 days late.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

He did not mean he was late for payment. He tried to pay down balance before the statement date to cut down utilization.

I think your current credit score already reflects your high balance on that card. I did not know I should keep overall balance below 9% and keep balance on any card below 50%. When my LO pulled my credit report, I had balance at 76% on one card and 67% on another one (both are same-as-cash store promotion purchases I did not plan to pay off). My overall balance was about 19% of CL. I did get pre-approval. But my case might be different from yours. Over past few years I have gradually built my CL to over 60k. I have a history of spending a lot and paying back on time (never late for payment, always pay off credit card every month, or pay the minimum balance on cards with 0% promotional rate). So high balance on a couple of cards might not be too bad for me.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone's profile is different and we all know each creditor is different, however Fair Issac don't change Smiley Happy 

Example: When I purchased my car two years ago. I had pulled my CR's also to see where I stood. At the time I pulled my TU (because that's what CR Honda financial pulls) my score was somewhere around 783. I had made a payment on one of my card's after the statement had cut and when the dealership pulled my CR my score was 793, was about 10 pts higher than what I had pulled and the report did reflect my payment made after the statement cut.  Fair Issac updates daily... which is why our scores bounce with any activity.

so again to the OP I wouldn't be that concerned if I made a payment after the statement cut.

I take advantage of the 0% promotional's on any large purchases that I make as well.

Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Having a maxed out credit card or close to a maxed out credit card is not a likely reason for denial.  The side effects, which would be a lower FICO score than if the card wasn't maxed out, and the higher payment that results from a maxed out credit  vs. if it had a lower balance, would be factored into the approval... but an underwriter doesn't see a maxed out credit card and say you are denied solely for that reason.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.