Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/ 10yr Refi

tag
0errant
New Contributor

Help w/ 10yr Refi

Hi all,

Looking for advice on getting a 10 year refi on our current home. I don't need cash out, just want to get this thing paid off so I can retire one day! We bought the house about 4 years ago, mortgage in my name only (fiance's credit sucked from divorce a couple of years prior). We had been working on getting his credit cleaned up, so I contacted my current lender (Colonial Savings through my CU) about doing the 10 year. It turns out his credit still sucks, apparently he recently co-signed on a car for one of his kids Smiley Sad In order to do anything, it would need to be in my name only again, but they said the new 10yr loan would put my DTI to high.

Here are some numbers:

My 2014 Wages: $54K

Current loan principal: $94K @ 5% int with $1065 PTI payment

Will appraise $200K+ easily

Student loan: $40K with $336 payment (will be forgiven in 2017 via PSLF)

Car loan: $7K with $342 payment

Discover: $1500 with $50 or less payment (I've been paying it down, so not sure what the actual payment reports as)

Scores:

Discover says 814

Equifax Risk Score: 788

Experian Fico 8: 819

TranUnion Vantage Score: 849

I have no negatives on any of the three credit reports and show two succesfully paid off mortgages. I've worked for the same employer for 14 years. I have two Visa's from Chase and a Home Depot card, all with zero balances. I was told on my previous refi attempt that my score put me in top teir rates, but that my DTI was too high to cover the payment on a 10 year loan.

We have the funds to pay off my car and Discover. Is that enough to get my DTI down enough to qualify for a 10 year refi on the $94k I currently owe? If you think so, how long should I wait after paying them off to apply? How much reserve cash should I have? Anything else I can do to increase my chances of getting qualified? Should I use a different lender? Anything else you need from me in order to help?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

Starting Score: 528
Current Score:840 DISC, 788 EFX, 849 TRU, 850 XPN
Goal Score: 850+ for all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help w/ 10yr Refi

@0errant wrote:

Hi all,

Looking for advice on getting a 10 year refi on our current home. I don't need cash out, just want to get this thing paid off so I can retire one day! We bought the house about 4 years ago, mortgage in my name only (fiance's credit sucked from divorce a couple of years prior). We had been working on getting his credit cleaned up, so I contacted my current lender (Colonial Savings through my CU) about doing the 10 year. It turns out his credit still sucks, apparently he recently co-signed on a car for one of his kids Smiley Sad In order to do anything, it would need to be in my name only again, but they said the new 10yr loan would put my DTI to high.

Here are some numbers:

My 2014 Wages: $54K

@Current loan principal: $94K @ 5% int with $1065 PTI payment

Will appraise $200K+ easily

Student loan: $40K with $336 payment (will be forgiven in 2017 via PSLF)

Car loan: $7K with $342 payment

Discover: $1500 with $50 or less payment (I've been paying it down, so not sure what the actual payment reports as)

Scores:

Discover says 814

Equifax Risk Score: 788

Experian Fico 8: 819

TranUnion Vantage Score: 849

I have no negatives on any of the three credit reports and show two succesfully paid off mortgages. I've worked for the same employer for 14 years. I have two Visa's from Chase and a Home Depot card, all with zero balances. I was told on my previous refi attempt that my score put me in top teir rates, but that my DTI was too high to cover the payment on a 10 year loan.

We have the funds to pay off my car and Discover. Is that enough to get my DTI down enough to qualify for a 10 year refi on the $94k I currently owe? If you think so, how long should I wait after paying them off to apply? How much reserve cash should I have? Anything else I can do to increase my chances of getting qualified? Should I use a different lender? Anything else you need from me in order to help?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

@Your gross monthly income is $4500. A 10 year $94k loan @ 3% is likely to give you a PITI around $1200. 1200 + 336 student loan + 342 car + 50 Discover puts your overall DTI at 42.8%.

That's not extremely high. I'd ask your lender for specific feedback regarding your personal DTI situation.

To reduce your DTI, you could refinance your car to reduce your debt by $200 a month, or go for a 15 year mortgage for $250 a month less.

Message 2 of 14
0errant
New Contributor

Thanks, dpeezy, but my plan was to pay off car and Discover. I can do that in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping that brings it down enough. How long should I wait after paying them off to apply, and will paying them off hurt my score?

Ooh and just noticed my sig line is really old. I should update!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you pay off your car, you should easily qualify with regard to DTI. I'd give it a couple weeks after you pay it off so that your credit reports have time to update.

If you have another installment loan (which you do), paying off the car shouldn't negatively impact your credit score much if at all.

Message 4 of 14
0errant
New Contributor

Thank you!

Will the bank want to see reserves on a refi?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your credit score and equity, they shouldn't, unless they have extremely tight overlays.

Message 6 of 14
0errant
New Contributor

And do you think going with my same lender is a good idea? On the one hand, they know I'm reliable. But the other hand, they would be losing money in interest payments, right?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are happy with your lender, I would say yes. It truly depends on the quality of service you received the first time around.

Message 8 of 14
0errant
New Contributor

I am very happy with them, so I will just stay put. I really wish I had been able to get approved before, when rates were lower for a better payment, but I'll still be saving money Smiley Happy

Is there anything else I should be doing to get the best rate?

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your scores, it sounds like you will be best off with a conventional loan (unless you are a veteran by chance). As far as rate - how long will you be staying in this particular home? If 8-10+ years, you may consider buying your rate down as that will save you money over time. If it is a very short-term living situation, you may even consider taking a slightly higher rate to cover closing costs.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.