Did you mean: 

Help will be applying for a mortgage soon

tag
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Help will be applying for a mortgage soon

Here is a link to the other post by OP that I was talking about:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Denied-Denied-Denied/td-p/1715170
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 11 of 19
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I remember you. You were recently denied numerous of times for a auto loan and posted about it on the auto loan thread. Your 75 inquires you acquired from June to now trying to buy a car won't fall off for two years. You stated the score the dealer pulled was 580. There is no way you are getting an Infiniti JX in March for $610 a month and then a mortgage shortly after that. $610 a month for a 52K car plus $10K down that you stated you would put down is the payment for someone with A+++ credit and even then $610 is still a little low. Your 580 score will cost about a $1,000 car payment for the Infiniti JX. Plus you stated you had 21 late payments on your auto loan. There is no way you will qualify for a 500-600K mortgage with that score, your income, and your DTI. Mortgages are harder to get approved for than an auto loan. 90K a year can't buy a 500-600K home and a 52K Infiniti JX. You are at least 2 years away from both a car loan and the mortgage. Try it if you like but you will be sadly disappointed. Like I said before on the other thread, you need to spend the next two years gardening otherwise I could see you filing bankruptcy in a few years if you can pull a fast one on the lender. Right now you are not properly managing your finances and the mortgage lender will see that just like the multiple dealerships you applied at saw it which is why you got denied over and over again. Not sure who you are trying to fool with all of this but if you only read what you want to hear, your going to be in bad shape. I encourage you to read our advice and apply it instead of blowing it off. My two cents.

Well said Moving Forward. I couldn't have said it better.

I see a lot of red flags with the OPs spending and saving habits. She/he is maxed out on all credit cards and has aspirations to get a car/house they cannot afford. Definitely sounds like a train that is about to wreck quickly

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 12 of 19
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

90k a year you are looking at probably a 350k mortgage. If you want a 500k home you would need to put down 30 percent. I would keep your other installment and revolving debt under 1000 a month payment if possible so you wont have DTI issues.

Message 13 of 19
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

Moving_Forward, once again thanks for the reply and "constructive criticism, however I do believe I am managing my finances pretty well, like I stated I make 90+ thousand a year, and my scores were a bit low then, however I brought them up to about a 712 accross the boad(then got an approval to borrow 42k from capital one auto finance my check is good for 90 days @7.9% apr, I plan on purchasing the vehical within a few months once my cd matures for the down payment. 

Now my scores have dropped approx 70-80pts due to high utilization, Christmas Shopping, son graduating etc. But they will all be paid off by middle feburary.  

btw capital one pulled tr which only has 16inquires right now, when I send my 1099 and bank statements in they just asked what they were for and I said auto loan shopping.......

Now to reinerate my question, Its set in stone that I am purchasing the vehical.

heres my questions:

1) how bads that going to hurtmy dti ration

2) maximum mortgage I will be qualified for making a little over 90k a year 

3) maximum mortgage I will be qualified for with 20% down

btw moving_forward im not trying to fool anyone, I come to this forumn looking for advice.  Thanks For Everything I do apprciate it 

Message 14 of 19
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

and thank you everybody else, just try to understand I'm just asking questions so I know whats in my best interest.

Message 15 of 19
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You seem to be confused about your salary in that you think it is so extravagant when it really is not. I make 92K a year and I am leasing a $35,000 luxury vehicle that I was approved for last month. Big difference from financing the $42K vehicle you are considering. The difference is since it is a lease, I am only financing $18K of the total price so $18K shows up on the credit report NOT $35K which saves my DTI by a lot. 7.9 APR on a $42K vehicle is an $800-900 a month car payment. That is why they advertise 0.9 to 1.9 APR for well qualified buyers so the payment is reasonable. Given my income, the debt from my lease, and two CCs that I pay down the balance on to 0-10% per month, the max house I have qualified for is $320K. You are looking at $2,000-$2,500 per month on a mortgage for a 400-500K that you won't prequalify for so now you are looking at a back door mortgage to qualify. They prequalify people for a certain amount for a reason...to make sure they can afford the home! A 500K home is over 40% of your income after taxes plus you will have the $800-900 per month car payment. Doesn't add up to nothing but default. You are looking at $500 per month just to heat the home of that size!

And then you have like 5 CCs that are maxed out and that hurts your DTI. In another forum, you had 21 late auto payments which tells me you were having a hard time paying your car note on your income and you want more debt???

Your scores you posted here (712) doesn't match the scores that you stated in the auto forum which was around 580...scores don't jump that fast to above 700 in 4-6 mos especially during this time you were maxing out your cards for Christmas. Something doesn't add up. So I feel you aren't giving us the full picture. And then instead of paying off your CCs, you app'd for another CC from a subprime lender that charges 75% of your avail credit as fees. Why would anyone do this?

I'm sorry but if you are a real person and this is your financial portrait, you are not managing your money properly. You need to take the advice here or talk to a close responsible friend or relative about your finances before you crash and burn by taking on more debt than you can handle. 21 late pays to your auto loan tells me that you can't manage your current debt. If you could, you would have made those payments on time. I gave you advice on the auto loan thread to take a break from apping for two years to pay off your debt but you didn't listen...instead you got another CC and a blank check from Capital One. Something doesn't add up. Sorry.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 16 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I think the advice and concerns you are receiving from the members here reflect the overall picture of the myFICO boards.  We are here to promote financial security and responsibility, not "grab what you can" like some other forums.  We want you to be sound in your finances and promote a healthy base of credit.  I do believe you would be extending yourself way too far if you continue in your current direction.

First off, at 90k a year, you are making a decent wage and I congratulate you on that.  But you need to stop and think about the total expense that these purchases will require.  I drive a 7 year old cadillac and bought a house in the 250k range.  I could have went with a bigger house, higher mortgage, but I bought a house that met my familes needs.  I could buy a new vehicle, but mine is in great shape and I still love it.  I don't have an image to maintain, I don't really care about that.  I just want to live within my means and enjoy things.  I can still save for what I want, vacation, etc.  I wouldn't be able to if I was worried about if I was going to make my payments every month.  

I hope the best for you in whatever decision you make and life treats you well.   I also thank the board members for the help they give, even though they can seem a bit harsh at times.  Tough love!   Good Luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 17 of 19
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again,

I understand where your coming from, but yes, prior to my credit cards being maxed out my scores were around 712, they decreased once I maxed out and opened the 5k loan, I need a new car, I am gardening now.

I know it might seam hard to believe but I am listening to all your advice, so far I made a total 1500.00 payment on my chase freedom......1200 more than a prior post recommended making, I am determined to have these cards under control by Feb.., so no AA action occurs ..

I'f you don't mind me asking, what kind of "luxury" car are you leasing that costs 35k, that's what I paid for my wife's explorer a few years ago.

Thanks,

Message 18 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@creditwatcher2012 wrote:

Thanks again,

I understand where your coming from, but yes, prior to my credit cards being maxed out my scores were around 712, they decreased once I maxed out and opened the 5k loan, I need a new car, I am gardening now.

I know it might seam hard to believe but I am listening to all your advice, so far I made a total 1500.00 payment on my chase freedom......1200 more than a prior post recommended making, I am determined to have these cards under control by Feb.., so no AA action occurs ..

I'f you don't mind me asking, what kind of "luxury" car are you leasing that costs 35k, that's what I paid for my wife's explorer a few years ago.

Thanks,

I agree with everything that Shogun posted...  with a combined family income of 180k  my husband and I went with a mortgage for 162k for our home purchased in January 2012.  There are only 3 of us in our family, and we went with a very energy efficient split level home. 2400 sq ft 3 bedroom 3 bath.. utility bill is 150 per month (levelized billing)

We are buying a new luxury SUV for 45k with 3.8k down payment at 1.79%, but also we are paying off a car too with bonus money in march - april 2013, the other car is owned free and clear.  So three cars total in our family and after April we only have a note on one of them.  I've been in a situation where my credit didn't qualify me for a good rate and in that case I went with a much cheaper pre owned luxury car (volvo) that had 14k miles, and paid 19k and had the car paid off in two years... I paid principle way down and I refinanced it after one year and then completely paid off the loan the following year.

I also have about 60k in reserves to fall back on if our job situation changes.

Too many notes to pay + expensive notes = hard time paying your bills and late payments....

Its better to live below your means!  Much less stressful to live that way!  Plus you are covered if something goes wrong!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.