Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with HELOC being closed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with HELOC being closed

I recently rec'd a letter from Chevy Chase bank informing me that my account was being closed due to "the value of the property materially declined below the appraised value at the time of your credit line was established".  What are my options, if any, to argue to keep account open?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with HELOC being closed

HELOC = Home EQUITY Line of Credit.  If you don't have the equity position any more, then what is the basis for them to keep it?  You could try to apply for an unsecured LOC, but HELOC needs equity.

What would you argue as a basis to keep as-is if your value has declined?  Do you dispute that the value has declined?

Message 2 of 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help with HELOC being closed

HELOCs are getting closed or limits have been drastically reduced for thousands of homeowners, because of falling home values.  The only way you might be able to get it reopened is if you get your lender to review the appraised value.  It's a longshot, though, especially since nowadays it's hard to get a HELOC that puts your combined LTV above 85%.  You probably would also have to be willing to pay for a formal appraisal, which would cost a few hundred bucks.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.