Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with HUD & FHA

tag
Gladd06
Established Member

Help with HUD & FHA

Hello All

I am new here and need a little help.  I'm in the very early stages of first time home ownership.  I've research many homes, and types of mortgages.  I've found 2 housed that I really like.  Both of them are owned by HUD, and I am plan to take an FHA loan.  I plan to speak with a lender very soon, but had a few questions before hand:

1.) If I'm eligible for the $100 down payment incentive for purchasing a HUD at the asking price, would I still need to have 3.5% to be approved to the FHA Loan?

2.) The house is listed at $148k, is it wise (or even possible) to bid lower than the asking price? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
witchypoo
Valued Member

Re: Help with HUD & FHA

I am in the last stages of purchasing my $100.00 hud home (closing 8/26).  You don't need to have the 3.5% down or in savings to be approved.  It literally is "$100.00" down!  Which was great for me, as I did not have a dime in savings.  I did however, have to have $1,000 to open escrow (borrowed from my ex), but I will get this money back at closing.  Another good thing about the $100.00 down homes are hud paid all my closing costs, termite inspection, and appraisal.  They also pay for an inspection, but it's not a buyer's inspection, which is much more thorough. 

My realtor and the hud website says your minimum bid has to be the appraised price (or higher), which is what I bid and won.  BUT, I did notice that other people bid lower than the appraised price on homes and won.  i think (not positive though) that they bid after the bidding was opened up to all.  The first 10 days are for owner-occupied bids only, after that, investors can bid.  The problem is, if you wait until it opens up to investors, investors usually have more cash to put down.

Good luck.  

Starting Score: 638
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Gladd06
Established Member

This is great news! Thanks so much for the info.. Congrats on Closing by the way! The bidding has been open to all for about 3 weeks now, so I'm guessing they just haven't received a reasonable offer?? Also, in order to qualify for the $100 down, I would have to bid the asking price, correct?? Thanks again!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats witchypoo. 

Gladd06--you're on the right track, whether it is HUD or the Fannie properties there are great deals.  I'm a mortgage banker so my 'data' is more anectodotal than anything else but I have not seen any consistency in the prices on these properties.  

Message 4 of 5
witchypoo
Valued Member

Thank you.  I believe you have to have an agent do the bidding for you. (which you may already know).  I had to find a real estate agent that could do the $100.00 down hud homes, because apparently not all can.  All of the homes on the PEMCO (well, that's the company that hud uses in California) website qualify for the $100.00 down.  I did see some winning bids that were lower than the appraisal, so I'm not exactly sure how that works, but I'm sure your real estate agent could tell you.  Since I actually only bid on one, I'm exactly sure of all the qualifiers, it all happened so fast.  And yes, you're probably right about the bidding, if it's been open for 3 weeks, I'm guessing no one has bid asking yet.

Starting Score: 638
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.