Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with LOE - Large Deposits

tag
NW04
Established Member

Help with LOE - Large Deposits

HI There, 

I am FINALLY about to enter into the underwriting process and I have been asked to supply LOEs for a few items prior to U/W.  

2 were simple: Address Discrepancy (Employer did not update residence to rental - still using parents address) and 1 for credit inquiry (car shopping in winter, ended up not purchasing - no new credit acquired).

My question is regarding LOE and papertrail for large deposits.

There were 5 - 1 from April and 4 from May. All were in check format.

The 1 from April was a check from my grandparents for my husband replacing a faulty water softener for them while they were in Florida. My husband is not on the mortgage as we have a new business that is not being used as income as we are currently working on building business.  Check was clearly written out to my husband and copy of cancelled check can be sourced and submitted.

4 from May were various expense reimbursements written out from the Business checking account.

My question is HOW MUCH documentation does the U/W usually need/want.  I don't wan't to submit too much and possibly create a red flag.  Is a simple LOE and cancelled check enough? Or do we have to sort through receipts/submit expense reimbursements, etc.  I am a nervous wreck as the business has not been questioned or brought into the process and as it is new I am afraid it will cause a serious delay if we have to start suppling tons of extra documentation.

*** Also to note: I am located in NJ, applying for USDA Guarantee 100% financing so reserves are not needed for closing (should be less than $100 needed to be brought to closing table according to LO.  The only funds we need to supply is an Earnest Money Deposit which is to be held in my attorney's escrow account and given back as soon as closing happens - only being used to show seller we are serious as they had concerns with the $0 down payment  with USDA ***

Thank you all in advance - I would have NEVER gotten this far if it was not for this board! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Help with LOE - Large Deposits

The LOE should be as simple as the explanation you just posted. No more and no less. If they want it sourced or anything like that, the underwriter will request it. I would add in the LOX that it is a one-time reimbursement item.

Message 2 of 4
NW04
Established Member

@ezdriver wrote:

The LOE should be as simple as the explanation you just posted. No more and no less. If they want it sourced or anything like that, the underwriter will request it. I would add in the LOX that it is a one-time reimbursement item.

Thank you ezdriver!

The Loan Processor stated:  Please provide the source of funds for the following deposits.  Please provide a letter stating where these funds came from as well as a paper trail supporting your letter.

I guess I am confused as to what exactly constitutes a paper trail.  Is a cancelled check enough of a paper trail? Thank you in advance - I think the anxiety is getting the best of me and I may be overcomplicating things! 

Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@NW04 wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

Thank you ezdriver!

The Loan Processor stated:  Please provide the source of funds for the following deposits.  Please provide a letter stating where these funds came from as well as a paper trail supporting your letter.

I guess I am confused as to what exactly constitutes a paper trail.  Is a cancelled check enough of a paper trail? Thank you in advance - I think the anxiety is getting the best of me and I may be overcomplicating things! 

If that is not sufficient, then tell your LO to be more specific specific. Seems to me a cancelled check and deposit slip should be sufficient paper trail.

Does the check have the accountholder's namem address etc on it? If not, then a letter from the account holder's bank confirming that particular check was drawn on that particular account on such and such date.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.