cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Loan Assumption - What does it do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Loan Assumption - What does it do?

Need to sell current home as newly built home is almost ready.   Current lender has offered a loan assumption option for prospective buyer.....Will a loan assumption release us of all liabilty or can we still be held liable if this person doesn't pay.

thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Help with Loan Assumption - What does it do?

buyer must qualify, but by assuming the loan, they get your rate/terms.

yes, you are released.  

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was doing some research on this. I just closed last week and found out my loan/rate is "assumable." It looks like you're released from the responsibility so long as it is specified in the contract, it may not be an automatic thing.

My 4.875% interest rate is going to look pretty sweet to somebody years down the line!

Message 3 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Yes, your loan must say it's assumable from the get go.  I haven't heard of a lender changing a loan from non-assumable to assumable after the loan has been made.  FHA, and other government loans, are often assumable.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.