Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Mortgage-speak!

tag
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Re: Help with Mortgage-speak!

Your payment amount is set and was figured out when the loan was originated, based on what it would have to be for your loan to be paid off in 30 years.

On March 1st, you will be paying the interest that was accrued from Feb 1st - Feb 28th. This is figured by multiplying one month of your interest rate to the remaining principal on the loan. Whatever is left over in the payment for the P+I portion goes towards your principal.

Extra payments will reduce the amount of money in your prinicipal, and thus every payment thereafter will have a less %'age going towards interest (as since there is less principal there is less interest) and greater % towards principal (and thus you may reduce the amount of payments you have to make.)

Student loans just have the interest added to the total balance and your payments go towards the total balance. It is not amortized like this... as far as I know, I am no expert on student loans.

One of the professionals can feel free to correct any details here.

Message 11 of 19
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@moneypenny02 wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@moneypenny02 wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

the double payment is likely 99% of the reduction unless student loans amortize weird.

the interest savings is pretty nominal in any calculation i tried in the past.

be careful and watch due dates on the mortgage.... lenders have been known to apply extra payments to escrow....  

i don't think you can pay the mortgage ahead so that you can skip a month in the future.

it would be a good question for the servicing lender

My mortgage can definitely be paid ahead--the fact that I paid my loan due April 1st, the next loan due date that is shown for my bill (online) is May 1st.  So, it is paid ahead.   right, it appears that way but it isnt. because interest is paid in arrears... so when you make a payment on april 1st.... you are paying march interest(you were behind because you paid AFTER interest accrued) and a little principle. the fact that it is DUE may 1st doesn't mean it is paid ahead.... it means that may 1st is when april interest is due along with a little principle, 

This is my point though-- If on Feb 24th I paid the payment due on March 1st--this paid the Feb interest.  But then if AFTER THAT PAYMENT IS MADE, I make a payment on Feb 25th to pay the payment due on Apr. 1st, which would pay the March interest.  But March has not started yet.  There is no interest to pay.  Why am I making payments on interest for a time period that has not even started yet?  Even if the interest is only calculated once a month, BOTH payments were made before the end of February, so its not like the March interest period even started ticking yet.   

i doubt you can make april payment in february.... that would go to principle. and april would still be due. unless servicer messed up

Retired Lender
Message 12 of 19
moneypenny02
New Contributor

I am looking at my loan account right now.  It says "NEXT PAYMENT DUE: May 1, 2014"

I am now looking at my loan allocation statement for the last payment.  It says: Principal: $676.01; Interest: $1,872.84.

When I am on the loan payment site, it allows me to allocate payment to Next Payment Due (Principal/interest) or Principal only.  I chose the former.  

Please just trust me when I say the facts are as they are.  I am hoping that someone can explain how the loan is structured, or what could possibly be different about a student loan such that this makes sense.  The fact that no one has yet been able to explain how--even if mortgages are compounded monthly or in arrears--I could have $1872.84 of interest for the month of MARCH by February 25th (33 days before the payment is due) -- suggests to me that something is wrong here and they should not be applying that much of my payment to the interest of my account.  

Message 13 of 19
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@moneypenny02 wrote:

Please just trust me when I say the facts are as they are.  I am hoping that someone can explain how the loan is structured if the servicing lender cant explain it... we cant... , or what could possibly be different about a student loan such that this makes sense.  The fact that no one has yet been able to explain how--even if mortgages are compounded monthly or in arrears--I could have $1872.84 of interest for the month of MARCH by February 25th (33 days before the payment is due) -- suggests to me that something is wrong here and they should not be applying that much of my payment to the interest of my account.  

hell, i am still confused.

LOL

Retired Lender
Message 14 of 19
Peter1142
Established Contributor

I am not sure I understand your confusion. You specifically elected to make your next payment early, that is why you paid interest for March in February, you chose "next scheduled payment"... as far as I am following you. Your other option which they gave you is to pay all to principal. You can't pay a different amount of principal and interest as interest isn't charged daily, nor added to your balance. You can only pay the scheduled monthly amounts of interest.

If you want to pay less interest, that payment should go all principal. Why would you select to pay them interest in advance when you can pay down your balance?
Message 15 of 19
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

@moneypenny02 wrote:

I am looking at my loan account right now.  It says "NEXT PAYMENT DUE: May 1, 2014"

I am now looking at my loan allocation statement for the last payment.  It says: Principal: $676.01; Interest: $1,872.84.

When I am on the loan payment site, it allows me to allocate payment to Next Payment Due (Principal/interest) or Principal only.  I chose the former.  

Please just trust me when I say the facts are as they are.  I am hoping that someone can explain how the loan is structured, or what could possibly be different about a student loan such that this makes sense.  The fact that no one has yet been able to explain how--even if mortgages are compounded monthly or in arrears--I could have $1872.84 of interest for the month of MARCH by February 25th (33 days before the payment is due) -- suggests to me that something is wrong here and they should not be applying that much of my payment to the interest of my account.  

You are not paying the interest that accumulated during the month of March... you are paying a portion of the interest that is due in March based on a 30 year amortization. Just because you pay one month early does not mean that you never have to pay interest.

You have the option to pay the next months payment (principle and interest) or just have the payment applied to principle. I'm not sure what's so confusing about that. You're making it much more complicated than it really is. It seems like your argument is that you shouldn't have to pay any interest in March if you make the payment before March begins. That's not how loans work. The interest is calculated based off of the amount of the loan outstanding, not the amount of the monthly payment.

Message 16 of 19
n0smirc
Regular Contributor

The straight answer is that most commonly (this doesn't mean all) mortgages in the US will compound monthly, you will not likely see a running tally of how the interest is growing over the course of one month. In the mortgage process you hopefully got an amortization schedule which details each principal and interest payment, should the payments be made exactly matching the loan term you were granted. should you make an additional payment and apply it to principal, your payment for the amortization schedule will stop matching what you were initially given, and the interest amount should go down slightly in comparison to the schedule. The servicer should at least be able to show you clearly how much each payment applies to principal, escrow and interest on your statement. You will still have a mortgage payment every month for the same amount, but you will pay off the loan earlier since you are increasing the amount allocated to principal. 

This is the way to verify your extra payments are being applied properly, compare against your amortization schedule & track your principal balance. If the allocation amounts aren't differing from the original schedule, as they should after at least a month after the first extra payment hits principal, something is wrong and you need to call/speak in person with someone at your lender/servicer. 

I understand what you're talking about on the student loan data, you see the interest growing daily up to the day you make a payment. You knock out the current interest amount and then the rest hits principal. 

Message 17 of 19
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

@moneypenny02 wrote:

@Peter1142 wrote:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/amortization-calculator.aspx

Extra payments are applied only to principal. Interest is charged only at the scheduled payments. If you make a payment on Feb 25th and you already paid on Feb 24th, it should be an extra payment towards principal.

This is not true for me.  I guarantee you.  I am looking at the allocation of the payment and it is the same allocation as if I had made my April 1st payment on May 31st instead of Feb 25th.  

There is the option to allocate just to principal, or to make the next scheduled payment.  I chose the latter, but I did it at a time when there should have been no interest that accrued yet for the month of March. 

If someone can explain the way in which interest is calculated on a mortgage loan--and how or why this would be different from a student loan-- that would be helpful.  

This statement is wrong, which is why you are confused.

Message 18 of 19
lisa4856

Standard language in a Mortgage Note with conventional lender reads as follows "If I make a Prepayment or partial Prepayment, there will be no changes in the due date or in the amount of my monthly payments unless the Note Holder agrees in writing to those changes"..

Also, "Prepayment" is defined as "a payment of Principal only".

You cannot pay interest that has not accrued. The only time you pay that is at the closing when you pay prepaid interest.

The Mortgage broker is correct in what he is telling you. You cannot "prepay" your mortgage (interest payments). However, you can prepay to principal but your monthly payments will remain the same and due the following month.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.