Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a Letter of Explaination

tag
mynamemightbetim
Established Member

Help with a Letter of Explaination

I have yet to apply for a mortgage after being shot down last year (which is why I joined myfico Smiley Happy. Anyway, I am sure that I will be asked to provide a Letter of Explaination. My fi' and I have decided to wait another six months before app'ing again. But, I was thinking, if my score raises enough when my brand new first ever credit card reports... Can we apply sooner? Since I'm going to have to explain some things no matter what haha. 

1) Our relationship. My fiance is supplying our downpayment, she received a large sum of money in an inheritance. We're set to marry on Sept 26th, 2015, but were thinking to draw up a contract or something explaining what should happen with the home if we split. 

2) 20 late payments on a student loan (well ten lates on 2 loans) over the course of a year that I thought were in deferment. I'm going to write that I mistakenly thought they were deferred and never found out otherwise until I happened to be home for Christmas and picked up the phone to find AES calling. After that I made all the payments and consolidated my loans, and write down if I paid them every month to keep track, they have had good history for a year now--- how do I explain it though? My mom is in default on all of the parent plus loans she has from my other siblings and never answers the phone when they call, and must have thrown out my mail... there are two months that were paid (not by me) I'm assuming she read something and got nervous and paid it? Bc i most certainly didnt. I thought everthing was in deferment and was away from home. 

3) New accounts on both of our reports, and 7 inquires over 2 years for me, and 5 inquires over two years for her. Pretty much, gotta credit before you have credit, but how do I write that tactfully?

4) Fiance's new job. She just graduated this May with a bachelor's in Health Care Management and got a job with Cigna. Prior to that she worked as an aide over a five year period. Other than taking a year off from Dec '12-Jan '14 to be home with our son and focus on getting her degree done. I know you need two years work history, but can't getting a job in the field you studied for five and a half years count? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

Re: Help with a Letter of Explaination

I can't saying, but I can say AES are a bunch of **bleep** bastards.... That is all! Lol
Message 2 of 5
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

Oops auto correct... "I can't say much, but"
Message 3 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

If it were me, I would wait another 6 months at least.  You want to have 2 years of on time payments.  You don't want a lot of inquiries on your credit report.  And you want a low debt.

There may be some creditors that would offer you a loan right now.  But usually the terms are less than favorable if you had a solid 2 years of good credit behind you.

Let us know what you do.

Message 4 of 5
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Why not just let your fiance finance the house? If her credit is good then just let her do the mortgage application solely. It's actually advised that if only one person can qualify for the loan, they you should just use one person. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.