Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a USDA Rural Development Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with a USDA Rural Development Loan

I'm trying to get a USDA loan but my wife and I are 7,000 over the required limit in my area. Do they average the last 2 years income? Also if my wife stops working what would they look at time wise
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I googled and found a broker for my USDA guaranteed loan. I asked them upfront what the min score was. He said they liked it to be 640 but could sometimes work around a 620. At that time (6 months ago) mine was 620 and I qualified but I had to submit rent checks from the past 24 months, etc before they actually approved me. The deal fell through when the appraisal came back low and the sellers wouldn't budge. I was so disappointed. Out the money for the appraisal, plus I had several new pulls on my credit which did make my score drop some but not very much. I got another credit card 4 months ago to raise my limits plus I paid off all balances on my other credit cards and now my middle score is TU 660 (lender pulled). I'm currently going through this nerve racking process again but at least this time the appraisal has came back good. I also tried calling all of my areas local banks ( I live in a small community). None of the local banks did USDA loans so I didn't have much choice but to rely on Google.  I would try asking friends, then calling local banks, then if all else fails, Google. My realtor didn't seem to know anything about USDA loans but others probably do. My realtor tried to convince me to get a conventional mortgage because she said it would be quicker. I didn't/don't have 20% down so I couldn't, she suggested I should just borrow from family, I was like...NO! Good luck!

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The USDA looks at total household income, but allows for deductions for child care, under age children in the home and oop health care for someone who is disabled and I believe elderly.  The web site allows you to enter your income and deduct from your income.  If you have already done this and are over $7000 there isn't much you can do.  They look at the last two years of W2's to get an idea of what your income is and how many dependents you claim, if you own property etc.  They also verify your income from your employer (voe) twice during the process and verify your ytd on your pay stubs.  If your wife stops working temp her employer will note that on the voe.  Is there any way you can go FHA or VA if applicable? If you are having a problem coming up with the down payment you should look into first time homebuyer grants that you could possibly qualify for.  However if you are over income for USDA you may find that you are over income for most grants.  You can also look into incentives that the banks are offering for closing cost assistance and/or down payment assistance as well as sellers concessions.  What area are you buying in?

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just recenetly financed for a USDA Rural Development Loan in June 2012.  I had a middle score of exactly 620!!!  We were sweating bullets all the way to the end.  YES, you can get a USDA loan with a score of 620 but there are only a few banks that will do it.  I went through a broker and I know that is the only reason I got my house.  I would definitely recommend contacting a few brokers in your area and seeing who is experienced in USDA loans.  

My lender ended up being American Financial Resources.  Like I said I highly recommend going through a broker if you have a low score.  I was not charged anything by my broker... he got his cut from the lender : )  I don't know what rates are at now but I was able to get 4.25 % and I was very happy with that.  If I had qualified for everything a couple months earlier I could have been in the 3.5% range though. 

Good Luck!

Message 14 of 15
Clemmy137

Congrats on your new home Blessed! What broker did you use? I need help immediately.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.